Evaluation of upper bounds and least nodes as database operations
We argue for supporting besides transitive closure two additional types of recursive queries in augmented relational database systems: the computation of upper bounds and least nodes in graphs that are persistently stored as database relations. We describe various algorithms for the evaluation of the specified query types. In essence, they vary in the kind of graph search, the search direction, the way how they prune search areas, and the way how they utilize intermediate results. Based on analytical results, we give a comparative assessment of the algorithms. The results of experiments substantiate our analytical findings.
KeywordsTransitive Closure Virtual Node Search Domain Unary Relation Starting Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BRS 90]Biskup, J., Räsch, U., Stiefeling, H., An Extension of SQL for Querying Graph Relations, Computer Languages 15, 2, 1990, pp. 65–82.Google Scholar
- [BiSt 88]Biskup, J., Stiefeling, H., Transitive Closure Algorithms for Very Large Databases, Proc. Int. Workshop on Graph-Theoretic Concepts in Computer Science, 1988, pp. 122–147.Google Scholar
- [Ed 90]Eder, J., Extending SQL with General Transitive Closure and Extreme Value Selection, IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering 2, 4 (1990), pp. 381–390.Google Scholar
- [Ja 92]Jakobsson, H., On Materializing Views and On-line Queries, Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Database Theory, Berlin 1992, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 646, Springer, 1992, pp. 407–420.Google Scholar
- [KIC 82]Kabler, R., Ioannidis, Y.E., Carey, M.J., Performance Evaluation of Algorithms for Transitive Closure, Information Systems 17, 5, 1992, pp. 415–441.Google Scholar
- [LaDe 89]Larson, P.A., Deshpande, V., A File Structure Supporting Traversal Recursion, Proc. ACM SIGMOD Int. Conf. on Management of Data, 1989, pp. 243–252.Google Scholar
- [MS 90]Mannino, M.V., Shapiro, L.D., Extensions to Query Languages for Graph Traversal Problems, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 2, 3 (1990), pp. 353–363.Google Scholar
- [St 91]Stiefeling, H., Evaluation Strategies for a Subclass of Recursive Database Queries, Dissertation, Universität Hildesheim, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Ta 72]Tarjan, R.E., Depth-First Search and Linear Graph Algorithms, SIAM J. Computing 1, 2, 1972, pp. 146–160.Google Scholar
- [Ul 89]Ullman, J.D., Principles of Database and Knowledge-Base Systems, Vol. II, Computer Science Press, Rockville, MD, 1989.Google Scholar