Development of a cartographic language
The development of a cartographic language for topographic maps is presented. Map components are identified as part of the analytical study of maps and based on these components the elements of the language, alphabet and grammar, are identified. Then, the alphabetic symbols together with the components of the grammar: operations, rules and writing mechanism, are discussed in detail.
KeywordsPositional Information Graphic Sign Terrain Feature Concatenation Operation Image Construction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bertin, J. Semiology of Graphics, Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1983, pp. 4–19.Google Scholar
- Chomsky, N. Syntactic Structures, The Hague: Mouton & Co., Printers, 1972, pp. 18–25.Google Scholar
- Eco, U. A Theory of Semiotics, Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1976, pp. 33–47.Google Scholar
- Imhof, E. Cartographic Relief Presentation, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 1982, p. 359.Google Scholar
- International Cartographic Association Multilingual Dictionary of Technical Terms in Cartography, ICA, 1973, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Mapping Science Committee Spatial Data Needs: the Future of the National Mapping Program, National Research Council, 1990, p. 15.Google Scholar
- Rife, P. “Conventional Map, Temporary Map, or Nomap? International Yearbook of Cartography, 1970.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, J.R. A Map Representation Theory for the Evaluation of Digital Exchange Formats, Columbus: The Ohio State University, Department of Geodetic Science and Surveying, Report No. 389, 1988, pp. 32–75.Google Scholar
- -“Computer-Aided Mapping Systems: The Next Generation, PE&RS, Vol. 57, No. 1, January 1991, pp. 85–88.Google Scholar
- -Modern Cartographic Theory: An Introduction, First Draft (unpublished), 1992, pp. 120–211.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, J.R, Lee, D. The Development of a Cartographic Model for Consistent and Efficient Map Production, The Ohio State University, Center For Mapping, Final Report, U.S. Geological Survey Grant No. 14-08-0002-G1884, 1991, pp. 71–98.Google Scholar
- Robinson, A.H, Sale, R.D., Morrison, J.L., Muehrcke, P.C Elements of Cartography, Madison: The University of Wisconsin Press, 1984, p. 7.Google Scholar