A taxonomy of forgetting automata
Forgetting automata are nondeterministic linear bounded automata whose rewriting capability is restricted as follows: each cell of the tape can only be “erased” (rewritten by a special symbol) or completely “deleted”.
We consider all classes of languages corresponding to various combinations of operations (erasing and deleting combined with moving the head), classify them according to the Chomsky hierarchy and show (some) other relations among them.
KeywordsInput Word Special Symbol Pushdown Automaton Chomsky Hierarchy Finite State Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BV79]von Braunmühl B., Verbeek R.: Finite change automata. Proceedings of the Fourth GI Conference on Theoretical Computer Science, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.67, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1979, pp. 91–100Google Scholar
- [J93]Jancar P.: Nondeterministic Forgetting Automata are Less Powerful than Deterministic Linear Bounded Automata, Acta Math. et Inf. Univ. Ostraviensis, 1, Ostrava, 1993 (to appear)Google Scholar
- [JMP92a]Jancar P., Mráz F., Plátek M.: Characterization of Context-Free Languages by Erasing Automata, in Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium on Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science 1992, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 629, Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1992, pp.305–314Google Scholar
- [JMP92b]Jancar P., Mráz F., Plátek M.: Forgetting automata and the Chomsky hierarchy, in Proc. SOFSEM '92, Zdiar, Slovakia, November 1992, pp. 41–44Google Scholar
- [JMP93]Jancar P., Mráz F., Plátek M.: A Taxonomy of Forgetting automata, Technical Rep. No. 101, Department of Computer Science, Charles University, Prague, May 1993Google Scholar
- [PV86]Plátek M., Vogel J.: Deterministic List Automata and Erasing Graphs, The Prague bulletin of mathematical linguistics 45, 1986Google Scholar
- [P92]Plátek M.: Syntactic Error Recovery with Formal Guarantees I., Technical Rep. No. 100, Department of Computer Science, Charles University, Prague, April 1992Google Scholar
- [S59]Sheperdson, J.C.: The Reduction of two-way automata to one way automata, IBM J. Res. Develop. 3, 1959, pp. 198–200Google Scholar
- [S70]Savitch, W.J.: Relationships Between Nondeterministic and Deterministic tape Complexities, Jurnal of Computer and System Sciences 4, 1970, pp. 177–192Google Scholar