On the communication complexity of parallel computation
We argue that the synchronized alternating finite automaton (introduced by Hromkovič et al.) is a viable model for studying the communication complexity of parallel computation. This motivates our study of the classes of languages accepted by synchronized alternating finite automata (SAFA) whose messages are bounded in length by a function m(n). We establish the lower bounds on m(n) for some types of SAFA to accept nonregular languages; we also show that these bounds are tight. Next, we establish dense hierarchies of these machines on m(n), and finally we give a characterization of NP in terms of bounded-message multihead SAFA.
KeywordsParallel Computation Turing Machine Communication Complexity Computation Tree Finite Automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AUY83]A. V. Aho, J. D. Ullman, and M. Yannakakis, On notions of information transfer in VLSI circuits, in Proc. 15th Symp. on Theory of Computing, ACM, 1983, pp. 133–138.Google Scholar
- [BFS86]L. Babai, P. Frankl, and J. Simon, Complexity classes in communication complexity theory (preliminary version), in Proc. 27th Ann. Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, IEEE, 1986, pp. 337–347.Google Scholar
- [CKS81]A. K. Chandra, D. K. Kozen, and J. Stockmeyer, Alternation, J. ACM, 28 (1981), pp. 114–133.Google Scholar
- [Hil85]W. D. Hillis, The Connection Machine, PhD thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985.Google Scholar
- [HKRS89]J. Hromkovic, J. Karhumäki, B. Rovan, and A. Slobodová, On the power of synchronization in parallel computations, tech. report, Comenius University, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Hro86]J. Hromkovic, How to organize the communication among parallel processes in alternating computations. Manuscript, January 1986.Google Scholar
- [HRS89]J. Hromkovič, B. Rovan, and A. Slobodová, Deterministic versus nondeterministic space in terms of synchronized alternating machines, tech. report, Comenius University, Bratislava, Czechoslovakia, 1989.Google Scholar
- [IT92a]O. H. Ibarra and N. Q. Tran, New results concerning synchronized finite automata, in Proc. 19th ICALP, Vienna 1992, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 623, Springer-Verlag, 1992, pp. 126–137.Google Scholar
- [IT92b]-, On space-bounded synchronized alternating Turing machines, Theoretical Computer Science, 99 (1992), pp. 243–264.Google Scholar
- [Kin88]K. N. King, Alternating multihead finite automata, Theoretical Computer Science, 61 (1988), pp. 149–174.Google Scholar
- [Yao79]A. C.-C. Yao, Some complexity questions related to distributed computing, in Proc. 11th Symp. on Theory of Computing, ACM, 1979, pp. 209–213.Google Scholar