Water masers associated with compact molecular clouds and ultracompact Hii regions: The extended sample
We present the results of a survey of water maser emission at 22.2 GHz towards a selected sample of IRAS-PSC sources which are believed to be associated with very young massive stars. The sample consists of 591 sources. The observations have been carried out using the Medicina 32-m radiotelescope, operated by the Istituto di Radioastronomia - C.N.R., Bologna.
Whereas previous searches for maser emission have been directed towards known Hii regions, the aim of the present survey is to identify new sources in an even earlier evolutionary phase, corresponding to the development of an ultracompact Hii region. It is shown that our sample contains a significant number of sources that could be considered good candidates of massive protostellar cores still in the main accretion phase.
KeywordsColor Index Early Evolutionary Phase Intermediate Mass Star Color Criterion Young Massive Star
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Comoretto, G., et al. 1990, A&AS, 84, 179Google Scholar
- Churchwell, E., Walmsley C.M., Cesaroni, R. 1990a, A&AS, 83, 119Google Scholar
- Churchwell, E., Wolfire, M.G., Wood, D.O.S. 1990b, ApJ, 354, 247Google Scholar
- Palla, F., Brand, J., Cesaroni, R., Comoretto, G., Felli, M. 1991, A&A, 246, 249Google Scholar
- Richards, P.J., Little, L.T., Toriseva, M., Heaton, B.D. 1987, MNRAS, 228, 43Google Scholar
- Scoville, N.Z., Kwan, J. 1976, ApJ, 206, 718Google Scholar
- Wood, D.O.S., Churchwell, E. 1989, ApJ, 340, 265Google Scholar