Approximation of polygonal curves with minimum number of line segments
We improve the time complexity to solve the polygonal curve approximation problem formulated by Imai and Iri from O(n2 log n) to O(n2). If the curve to be approximated forms part of a convex polygon, we show that the time complexity can be further reduced to O(n).
KeywordsShort Path Line Segment Time Complexity Open Curve Closed Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P.J. Burt. Fast filter transforms for image processing. Computer Graphics and Image Processing 16, pp. 20–51, 1981.Google Scholar
- 2.B.M. Chazelle. Computational Geometry and Convexity. Ph.D Thesis, Yale Univ., 1980.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Chin, A. Choi and Y. Luo. Optimal generating kernels for image pyramids by Linear fitting. In Proc. 1989 Int. Symp. on Computer Architecture and Digital Signal Processing (Hong Kong, Oct. 11–14, 1989), 612–617.Google Scholar
- 4.F. Chin, A. Choi and Y. Luo. Optimal generating kernels for image pyramids by Piecewise fitting. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell. (to appear).Google Scholar
- 5.L. Guibas, J. Hershberger, J. Mitchell and J.S. Snoeyink. Approximating Polygons and Subdivisions with Minimum Link Paths. Technical Report 92-5, University of British Columbia, March 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.S. L. Hakimi and E. F. Schmeichel. Fitting polygonal functions to a set of points in the plane. CVGIP, Graphical Models and Image Processing, Vol. 53 (1991), pp. 132–136.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Imai and M. Iri. Polygonal Approximations of a Curve-Formulations and Algorithms. In G. T. Toussaint, editor, Computational Morphology. North Holland, 1988Google Scholar
- 8.P. Meer, E.S. Baughter and A. Rosenfeld. Frequency domain analysis and synthesis of image pyramid generating kernels. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intell., vol. PAMI-9, pp. 512–522, July 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Melkman and J. O'Rourke. On Polygonal Chain Approximation. In G. T. Toussaint, editor, Computational Morphology. North Holland, 1988Google Scholar
- 10.A. Rosenfeld. (ed.) Multiresolution Image Processing and A nalysis. New York, Springer-Verlag, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.G. T. Toussaint. On the Complexity of Approximating Polygonal Curves in the Plane. In Proc. IASTED, International Symposium on Robotics and Automation, Lugano, Switzerland, 1985 Google Scholar