Routing problems on the mesh of buses
The mesh of buses (MBUSs) is a parallel computation model which consists of n×n processors, n row buses and n column buses. Upper and lower bounds for the routing problem over MBUSs are discussed. We first show elementary upper and lower bounds, 2n and 0.5n, respectively, for its parallel time complexity. The gap between 2n and 0.5n is then narrowed to 1.5n and n1 which is the main theme of the paper. The n lower bound might seem to be trivial but is actually not. Three counter examples will be shown against this kind of easy intuition.
KeywordsProcessor Array Restricted Domain Regular Order Original Input Data Saving Zone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Borodin and J. Hoporoft. Routing, merging and sorting on parallel models of computations. In Proc. 14th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 338–344, 1982.Google Scholar
- K. Iwama and Y. Kambayashi. An o(logn) parallel connectivity algorithm on the mesh of buses. In Proc. 11th IFIP World Computer Congress, pp. 305–310, 1989.Google Scholar
- K. Iwama, E. Miyano, and Y. Kambayashi. A parallel sorting algorithm on the mesh-bus machine. Information Processing Society of Japan SIGAL Reports, No. 18-2,, 1990.Google Scholar
- K. Iwama, E. Miyano, and Y. Kambayashi. Mesh-buses vs. mesh-connections. Technical Report 91-C07, Kyushu Univ., Kyushu, Japan, 1991.Google Scholar
- D. Krizanc, S. Rajasekaran, and T. Tsantilas. Optimal routing algorithms for meshconnected processor arrays. LNCS, Vol. 319, pp. 411–422, 1988.Google Scholar
- M. Kunde. Routing and sorting on mesh-connected arrays. LNCS, Vol. 319, pp. 423–433, 1988.Google Scholar
- Y. Ma, S. Sen, and I. Scherson. The distance bound for sorting on mesh-connected processor arrays is tight. In Proc. 27th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 255–263, 1986.Google Scholar
- K. Nakano, T. Masuzawa, and N. Tokura. Optimal parallel sorting algorithms on processor arrays with multiple buses, 1991. manuscript.Google Scholar
- C. Schnorr and A. Shamir. An optimal sorting algorithms for mesh connected computers. In Proc. 18th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 255–263, 1986.Google Scholar
- Q. Stout. Meshes with multiple buses. In Proc. 27th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 264–273, 1986.Google Scholar
- Q. F. Stout. Mesh-connected computers with broadcasting. IEEE Trans. Comput., Vol. C-32, 9, pp. 826–830, 1983.Google Scholar