Competitive analysis of the Round Robin algorithm
We investigate on-line algorithms that schedule preemptive tasks on single processor machines when the arrival time of a task is not known in advance and the length of a task is unknown until its termination. The goal is to minimize the sum of the waiting times over all tasks. We formulate an on-line algorithm, RR, which is an ideal version of so-called Round Robin algorithm. It is known that, if all tasks arrive at one time, RR is 2-competitive [W]. We prove that, when tasks may arrive at different times, the competitve ratio of RR is between 2(k−1)/H k −1 and 2(k−1), where k is the maximal number of tasks that can exist at any given time. Our analysis also yields bounds on the sum of response times, and through several criteria we demonstrate the effectiveness of Round Robin algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BKMRRS]S. Baruah, G. Koren, B. Mishra, A. Raghunathan, L. Rosier and D. Shasha. On-line scheduling in the presence of overload. Proc. 32nd IEEE FOCS, pages 100–110, 1991.Google Scholar
- [BLS]A. Borodin, N. Linial and M. Saks. An optimal online algorithm for metrical task systems. Proc. 19th ACM STOC, pages 373–382, May 1987.Google Scholar
- [FST]A. Feldmann, J. Sgall and S. H. Teng. Dynamic scheduling on parallel machines. Proc. 32nd IEEE FOCS, pages 111–120, 1991.Google Scholar
- [H]S. Hasegawa. Oral communication, 1992.Google Scholar
- [MMS]M. Manasse, L. A. McGeoch and D. Sleator. Competitive algorithms for on-line problems. Proc. 20th ACM STOC, pages 322–333, May 1988, Chicago.Google Scholar
- [MPT]R.Motwani, S.Phillips and E.Torng. Non-Clearvoyant Scheduling. Manuscript, 1992.Google Scholar
- [RS]P. Raghavan and M. Snir. Memory versus ramdomization in online algorithms. Proc. 16th ICALP, Italy, July 1989.Google Scholar
- [S T]
- [SWW]D. B. Shmoys, J. Wein and D. P. Williamson. Scheduling parallel machines on-line. Proc. 32nd IEEE FOCS, pages 131–140, 1991.Google Scholar
- [W]J. Wein. Private communication, 1991.Google Scholar