A joint Master's level software engineering subtrack
The Departments of Computer Science and Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Iowa are establishing a 12 semester hour sequence of courses or subtrack in software engineering within their established Master's programs. Students completing the subtrack receive a special designation on their transcript. The design of the subtrack is discussed and comparisons of the resulting Masters programs with programs for separate Master degrees in software engineering are made. Surprisingly, the differences are not as large as one might expect. Moreover, the specific differences provide insight into the relationship between the subtrack approach and the separate degree approach. A possible evolution of a subtrack into a complete degree program is also made evident. With the current shortage of resources for starting new degree programs, this subtrack approach should be attractive to many other universities.
KeywordsSoftware Engineering Software Engineer Formal Method Degree Program Data Flow Diagram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Sommerville, Software Engineering,Third Edition,Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass.,1989Google Scholar
- 2.C. Ghezzi, M. Jazayeri, and D. Mandrioli,Fundamentals of Software Engineering, Prentice-Hall,Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey,1991Google Scholar
- 3.G. A. Ford and N. E. Gibbs,A Master of Software Engineering Curriculum.Computer,vol. 22,9,59–71,September 1989Google Scholar
- 4.M. Ardis and G. A. Ford,“1989 SEI Report on Graduate Software Engineering Education”,Technical Report CMU/SEI-89-TR-21,Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvaniajune 1989Google Scholar
- 5.L. E. Deimel,Ed.,Software Engineering Education: SEI Conference 1990 Proceedings,145–156, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,April 1990Google Scholar
- 6.H. E. Romanowsky et. al., The Rockwell Avionics Group Software Engineering Training Program,Software Engineering Education: SEI Conference 1989 Proceedings, 131–140,Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania,July 1989Google Scholar
- 7.N. E. Gibbs et. al.,The Carnegie Mellon University Master of Software Engineering Degree Program,Software Engineering Education: SEI Conference 1990 Proceedings, 152–154,Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,April 1990Google Scholar
- 8.N. E. Gibbs and R. E. Fairley,Software Engineering Education: The Educational Needs of the Software Community,New York, NY,1987Google Scholar
- 9.B. I. Blum,Software Engineering: A Holistic View, Oxford University Press, New York,1992Google Scholar
- 10.Y. Tao and C. Kung,Formal Definition and Verification of Data Flow Diagrams,Journal of Systems and Software,vol. 16,29–36,1991Google Scholar
- 11.B. Kramer and Luqi,Toward Formal Models of Software Engineering Processes, Journal of Systems and Software,vol. 15,63–74,1991Google Scholar