Explicit expression of multidimensional data parallelism
The vector/array processor system was the general model for most early supercomputers. In order to utilize the power of these new vector/array machines, statements were added to FORTRAN or other languages to specify data parallelism. In these extensions, language constructs extended for data parallelism are only considered for vector operations, that is, only for one-dimensional data parallelism. However, many elementary numerical algorithms contain not only one-dimensional but also two-dimensional data parallelism. Parallel architectures are also developed to support two-dimensional data parallelism. This paper will present an approach to express multidimensional data parallelism in a high-level language and will show that program constructs in the approach are concise and orthogonal.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Bi: Exploiting Two-dimensional Explicit Parallelism on Vector Architectures. PhD Thesis, Technical University of Berlin, April 1991.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Böttcher: STARLET-II System Description & Programming Reference, presented at the GMD-First seminar “Pope and STARLET-II: Two Innovative Parallel Architecture”, Oct. 2, 1990, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 3.American National Standards Institute: FORTRAN-8x, Feb. 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Burroughs Scientific Processor — implementation of FORTRAN Burroughs document 61391E, 1977.Google Scholar
- 5.W. K. Giloi and H. K. Berg: Introducing the Concept of Data Structure Architecture, Proc. 1977 Int. Conference on Parallel Processing, IEEE Catelog No. 77CH1253-4C, pp. 44–51.Google Scholar
- 7.W. K. Giloi: Data Structure Architectures and Its Application, in “Berichte der Deutsch-Chinesischen Elektronik Woche in Peking 1987”, Teil 4, Data Processing. VDE vertag, offenbach, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Hockney and C. Jesshope: Parallel Computers, Adm Hilger Ltd., Bristol, 1981.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Paul and M. W. Wilson: The VECTRAN language: an experiment language for vector/matrix array processing, IBM Research Rep., 1975.Google Scholar
- 11.R. H. Perrott, D. Crookes and P. Milligan: The Programming Language ACTUS, Software-Practice and Experience, Vol. 13, 1983, pp. 305–322.Google Scholar
- 12.R. H. Perrott: Parallel Programming, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1987.Google Scholar