Translating concurrent programs into VLSI chips
This paper reviews the results of almost a decade of research in the synthesis of asynchronous VLSI circuits from concurrent programs. In view of these results, it is argued that a method based on program transformations can produce circuits that are both correct by construction and efficient. The design of the first asynchronous microprocessor is used as an example.
KeywordsGaAs Resis Gallium Cond
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Steven M. Burns and Alain J. Martin. Syntax-directed Translation of Concurrent Programs into Self-timed Circuits. Proc. Fifth MIT Conference on Advanced Research in VLSI, ed. J. Allen and F. Leighton, MIT Press, 35–40, 1988.Google Scholar
- Edsger W. Dijkstra. A Discipline of Programming. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs NJ, 1976.Google Scholar
- David L. Johannsen. Silicon Compilation. Decennial Caltech Conference on VLSI, ed. C.L. Seitz, MIT Press, 17–36, 1989.Google Scholar
- A.J. Martin, S.M. Burns, T.K. Lee, D. Borkovic, P.J. Hazewindus. The Design of an Asynchronous Microprocessor. Decennial Caltech Conference on VLSI, ed. C.L. Seitz, MIT Press, 351–273, 1989.Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. Compiling Communicating Processes into Delay-insensitive VLSI circuits. Distributed Computing, 1,(4), 1986.Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. Programming in VLSI: From Communicating Processes to Delay-insensitive Circuits. UT Year of Programming Institute on Concurrent Programming, ed. C.A.R. Hoare, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA, 1989.Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. Synthesis of Asynchronous VLSI Circuits. Formal Methods for VLSI Design, ed. J. Staunstrup, North-Holland, 1990.Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. The Limitations to Delay-Insensitivity in Asynchronous Circuits. Sixth MIT Conference on Advanced Research in VLSI, ed. W.J. Dally, MIT Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. The Design of a Delay-Insensitive Microprocessor: An Example of Circuit Synthesis by Program Transformation. Hardware Specification, Verification and Synthesis: Mathematical Aspects, eds. M. Leeser and G. Brown, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 408, Springer-Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- Carver Mead and Lynn Conway. Introduction to VLSI Systems, Addison-Wesley, Reading MA, 1980.Google Scholar
- Seitz, C.L., Athas, W.C., Flaig, C.M., Martin, A.J., Seizovic, J., Steele, C.S., and Su, W.-K. The Architecture and Programming of the Ametek Series 2010 Multicomputer. Proceedings of the Third Conference on Hypercube Concurrent Computers and Applications, ACM Press, New York, 1988.Google Scholar