Parallel contraction of fibonacci trees and prefix computations on a family of interconnection topologies
We show that the p-th order Fibonacci tree of size N can be reduced to a single node in O(log N) steps on a p-th order Fibonacci cube with N nodes (processors).
Assume that O(log N) data items are on each of the N processors. We show that the prefix computation can be done in O(log N) steps on the p-th order Fibonacci cube.
KeywordsData Item Binary Code Partial Product Binomial Tree Interconnection Topology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K. Abrahamson, N. Dadoun, D. G. Kirkpatrick, and T. Przxtycka. A Simple Parallel Tree Contraction Algorithm, J. of Algorithms, Vol. 10, pp. 287–302, 1989.Google Scholar
- G. Blelloch, Scans as Primitive Parallel Operations. Proceedings International Parallel Processing Conference, pp. 355–362, 1987.Google Scholar
- D. P. Bertsekas and J. N. Tsitsiklis. Parallel and Distributed Computation: Numerical Methods. Prentice-Hall. Inc., 1989.Google Scholar
- The Fibonacci Quarterly: The Official Journal of the Fibonacci Association.Google Scholar
- F. E. Fich. New Bounds for Parallel Prefix Circuits. Proceedings ACM Symp. on Theory of Computation. pp. 100–109, 1983.Google Scholar
- R. L. Graham, D. E. Knuth, and O. Patashnik, CONCRETE MATHE-MATICS, Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., 1989 (Chapter 6: Special Numbers).Google Scholar
- C.-T. Ho and S. L. Johnsson, Distributed Routing Algorithms for Broadcasting and Personalized Communication in Hypercubes, Proceedings Int'l Conf. on Parallel Processing, 1986.Google Scholar
- W.-J. Hsu, Fibonacci Cubes-A New Interconnection Topology, Accepted for publication, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, 1991.Google Scholar
- W.-J. Hsu and J. Liu, Fibonacci Codes as Formal Languages, Tech. Report CPS-91-05, Michigan State University, May 1991.Google Scholar
- W.-J. Hsu, C. V. Page, and J. Liu, Embedding Meshes in the Fibonacci Cubes, submitted for publication, July, 1991.Google Scholar
- C. P. Kruskal, L. Rudolph, and M. Snir, The Power of Parallel Prefix, Proceedings International Conference on Parallel Processing, pp. 180–185, 1985.Google Scholar
- D. E. Knuth, THE ART OF COMPUTER PROGRAMMING, Vol. 1–3, Addison-Wesley, 1973.Google Scholar
- J.-S. Liu and W.-J. Hsu. On Embedding Rings and Meshes in Fibonacci Cubes, Tech. Report CPS-91-01, Jan. 1991.Google Scholar
- R. E. Ladner and M. J. Fischer, Parallel Prefix Computation, J. ACM, 27(4), pp. 831–838, Oct. 1980.Google Scholar
- G. L. Miller and J. H. Reif, Parallel Tree Contraction and Its Application, Proceedings Symp. on Foundations of Comp. Sci., pp. 478–489, Oct. 1985.Google Scholar
- M. J. Quinn, DESIGNING EFFICIENT ALGORITHMS FOR PARAL-LEL COMPUTERS, McGraw-Hill, 1987.Google Scholar
- J. T. Schwartz, UltraComputers, ACM Trans. on Programming Languages and Systems, 2(4), pp. 484–521, Oct. 1980.Google Scholar
- C. L. Seitz, The Cosmic Cube, Comm. ACM, Vol. 28. No. 1, pp. 22–33, 1985.Google Scholar
- C.-L. Wu and T.-Y. Feng (eds.) INTERCONNECTION NETWORKS FOR PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING. IEEE Computer Soc., 1984.Google Scholar