In-place linear probing sort
- 119 Downloads
We introduce the first sorting algorithm that is proven to sort n randomly drawn uniformly distributed elements in θ(n) time in situ. The constants in this algorithm are small, and simulations have shown it competitive with other sorting algorithms. It is, furthermore, conceptually simple and easy to code, which makes it a practical distributive sorting algorithm.
KeywordsAnalysis of algorithm Sorting Average-case analysis Distributive sorting
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- O. Amble and D. E. Knuth, Ordered hash tables, Computer Journal, 17(2):135–142, (May 1974)Google Scholar
- D. Angluin and L. G. Valiant, Fast probabilistic algorithms for Hamiltonian circuits and matchings, Journal of Computer System Science, 18:155–193, (1979)Google Scholar
- R. W. Floyd and R. L. Rivest, Expected time bounds for selection, Communications of the ACM, 18(3):165–172, (Mar. 1975)Google Scholar
- G. H. Gonnet, Handbook of Algorithms and Data Structures, Addison-Wesley, Reading Mass., (1984)Google Scholar
- G. H. Gonnet and J. I. Munro, The analysis of Linear Probing Sort by the use of a new mathematical transform, Journal of Algorithms 5,(1984), 451–470.Google Scholar
- T. F. Gonzalez and D. B. Johnson, Sorting numbers in linear expected time and optimal extra space, Information Processing Letters, 15(3):119–124, (Oct. 1982)Google Scholar
- C. C. Handley, An in situ distributive sort, Information Processing Letters, 23(1986), 265–270Google Scholar
- [S]D. E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, vol. III: Sorting and Searching, Addison-Wesley, Reading Mass. (1973)Google Scholar
- T. W. Lai and D. Wood, Implicit selection, In proceedings SWAT 88, Halmstad, Sweden, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 318, 14–23, Springer Verlag, (Jul. 1988)Google Scholar
- M. D. MacLaren, Internal Sorting by radix plus shifting, Journal of the ACM, 13(3):404–411, (July 1966)Google Scholar
- W. W. Peterson, Addressing for random-access storage, IBM Journal on Research and Development, 1(4):130–146 (Apr. 1957)Google Scholar