The complexity of colouring circle graphs
- 195 Downloads
Here we will present an algorithm which solves the 3-colouring problem of circle graphs in time O(nlog(n)). In [Un88] we showed that the 4-colouring problem for circle graphs is NP-complete.
If the largest clique of a circle graph has size k then the 2·k−1-colouring is NP-complete. Such circle graphs are 2·k-colourable [Un88].
Further results and improvements of [Un88] complete the knowledge of the complexity of the colouring problem of circle graphs.
Classificationalgorithms and data structures computational complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bo75]A. Bouchet, Reducing prime graphs and recognizing circle graphs, Combinatorica, 1975Google Scholar
- [Bo85]A. Bouchet, Characterizing and recognizing circle graphs, Proc. of the 6th Yugoslav Seminar on Graph Theory, Dubrovnik 1985Google Scholar
- [Br90]Andreas Brandstädt, Special graph classes — a survey (preliminary version), Forschungsergebnisse Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Sektion Mathematik, 1990Google Scholar
- [Da89]Peter Damaschke, The Hamilton Cycle Probelm isNP-Complete for Circle Graphs, Technical Report, University of Jena, O-6900 Jena, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- [EvIt71]S. Even and A. Itai, Queues, stacks and graphs, Theory of Machines and Computations, 1971, 71–86Google Scholar
- [Fr84]H. de Fraysseix, A Characterization of Circle Graphs, Europ. J. Combinatorics, Vol 5, 1984, 223–238Google Scholar
- [GaHsSu85]C.P. Gabor and W.-L. Hsu and K.J. Supowit, Recognizing Circle Graphs in Polynomial Time, FOCS, 85Google Scholar
- [GaJoMiPa80]M.R. Garey and D.S. Johnson and G.L. Miller and Ch.H. Papadimitriou, The Complexity of Coloring Circular Arcs and Chords, SIAM Alg. Disc. Meth., 1. No. 2., 1980, 216–227Google Scholar
- [Ga75]F. Gavril, Algorithms for a Maximum Clique and A Maximum Independent Set of a Circle Graph, Networks 3, 1975, 261–273Google Scholar
- [GuLeLe82]U.I. Gupta and D.T. Lee and J.Y.T. Leung, Efficient Algorithms for Interval Graphs and Circular-Arc Graphs, Networks, 12, 1982, 459–467Google Scholar
- [Ke90]J.M. Keil, The Dominating Set Problem for Circle Graphs isNP-Complete, Personal communications with A. BrandstädtGoogle Scholar
- [Le84]J.Y.-T. Leung, Fast Algorithms for Generating All Maximal Independent Sets of Interval, Circular-Arc and Chordal Graphs, Journal of Algorithms 5, 1984, 11, 22–35Google Scholar
- [Na85]W. Naji, Reconnaissance des graphes de cordes, Discr. Math. 54, 1985, 329–337Google Scholar
- [OrBoBo82]J.B. Orlin and M.A. Bonuccelli and D.P. Bovet, An O(n2) Algorithm for Coloring Proper Circular Arc Graphs, SIAM Alg. Disc. Meth., 2. No. 2., June 1982, 88–93Google Scholar
- [RePoUr82]R.C. Read and D. Rotem and J. Urrutia, Orientation of Circle Graphs, Journal of Graph Theory, 6, 1982, 325–341Google Scholar
- [RoUr81]D. Rotyem and J. Urrutia, Finding Maximum Cliques in Circle Graphs, Networks, 11, 1981, 269–278Google Scholar
- [Sp88]J.P. Spinrad, Recognition of Circle Graphs, Manuscript 1988, Dept. of CS, Vanderbilt Univ., Nashville, TNGoogle Scholar
- [St90]L. Stewart and E. Elmallah and J. Culberson, Polynomial algorithms on kpolygon graphs, Proc. 21th SE Conf. Combin. Graph Theory and Computing, Boca Raton, Florida 1990Google Scholar
- [Tu80]A. Tucker, An Efficient Test for Circular-Arc Graphs, SIAM J. Comput. Vol. 9. No. 1., 1980, 1–24Google Scholar
- [Un90]W. Unger, Färbung von Kreissehnengraphen, Ph.D. Thesis, University of Paderborn, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- [Un88]W. Unger, On the k-colouring of Circle Graphs, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 294, Springer Verlag, proc. STACS 88 Bordeaux, pp 61–72Google Scholar
- [WePo85]W. Wessel and R. Pöschel, On Circle Graphs, Graphs, Hypergraphs and Applications, 1985, 207–210Google Scholar
- [Ya86]M. Yannakakis, Four Pages are necessary and sufficient for Planar Graphs, ACM, 1986, 104–108Google Scholar