Logics for belief dependence
In this paper, we investigate the theoretical foundations of belief dependence in multiple agent environment, where agents may rely on someone else about their beliefs or knowledge. Several logics for belief dependence are introduced and studied. First of all, we try to formalize the problem of belief dependence in the framework of general epistemic logics, by which we will argue that general epistemic logic is not appropriate to formalize the problem of belief dependence. Then, based on an approach which is similar to Fagin and Halpern's general awareness logic, we present the second logic for belief dependence, which is called a syntactic approach. The third logic is an adapted possible world logic, where sub-beliefs are directly introduced in the models.
KeywordsLogic System Accessibility Relation Epistemic Logic Dependent Operator Syntactic Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bond, A. H. and Gasser, L., (eds.), Readings in Distributed Artificial Intelligence, Morgan-Kaufmann, San Mateo, CA, 1988.Google Scholar
- Doyle, J., A society of mind, in: Proceedings IJCAI-83, Karlsruhe, F. R. G. (1983) 309–314.Google Scholar
- J. Hintikka, Knowledge and Belief, Cornell University Press, 1962.Google Scholar
- Zhisheng Huang, Dependency of Belief in Distributed Systems, in: M. Stokhof and L. Torenvliet (eds.) Proceedings of the Seventh Amsterdam Colloquium, 637–662, 1990.Google Scholar
- Zhisheng Huang and Karen Kwast, Awareness, Negation, and Logical Omniscience, to appear in: Proceedings of European Workshop on Logics in Artificial Intelligence, (JELIA'90), 1990.Google Scholar
- Zhisheng Huang and Peter van Emde Boas, Belief Dependence, Revision and Persistence, in preparation.Google Scholar
- G. E. Hughes and M. J. Cresswell, A Companion to Modal Logic, Methuen, 1984.Google Scholar
- Levesque, H. J., A logic of implicit and explicit belief, in: Proceedings AAAI-84 Austin, TX (1984) 198–202.Google Scholar
- Eric Werner, Toward a Theory of Communication and Cooperation for Multiagent Planning, in: M. Y. Vardi (ed.) Proceedings of TARK 1988, Morgan-Kaufmann, (1988), 129–143.Google Scholar