Coded modulation with generalized multiple concatenation of block codes
- 155 Downloads
Block coded modulation schemes can be obtained by generalized concatenation of the modulation and block codes of length N. The modulation is considered as a code in the euclidean space IR2. One obtains a concatenated code in the euclidean space IR2N using binary block codes. In this paper the obtained code is taken as an inner code, which is concatenated with block codes once again. The advantage of this multiple concatenation compared to single concatenation is the use of very short (easy to decode) outer codes such as repetition codes and even weight codes.
The construction of multiple concatenated codes is presented. A decoding method is given which uses soft decision decoding for the outer codes. As examples twice concatenated codes are designed for QPSK and 8-PSK modulation.
Computer simulations have been performed in order to compare multiple concatenated codes to single concatenated codes of equal length and rate. The multiple concatenated codes investigated here are found to be better than the single concatenated codes as far as the symbol error probability as well as the decoding effort is concerned.
KeywordsBlock Code Symbol Error Probability Soft Decision Decode Procedure Concatenate Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bossert, M., Concatenation of Block Codes, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Report (1988).Google Scholar
- Calderbank, A.R., Multi-Level Codes and Multi-Stage Decoding, IEEE Trans. Comm. 37 (1989) 222–229.Google Scholar
- Forney Jr., G.D., Generalized Minimum Distance Decoding, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 12 (1966) 125–131.Google Scholar
- Forney Jr., G.D., Gallager, R.G., Lang, G.R., Longstaff, F.M. Qureshi, S.U., Efficient Modulation for Band-Limited Channels, IEEE J. Sel. Areas in Comm. 2 (1984) 632–647.Google Scholar
- Imai, H., Hirakawa, S., A New Multilevel Coding Method Using Error-Correcting Codes, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 23 (1977) 371–377.Google Scholar
- Kasami, T., Takata, T., Fujiwara, T., Lin, S., A Concatenated Coded Modulation Scheme for Error Control, IEEE Trans. Comm. 38 (1990) 752–763.Google Scholar
- MacWilliams, F.J., Sloane, N.J.A., The Theory of Error-Correcting Codes (North Holland, New York, 1977).Google Scholar
- Pottie, G.J., Taylor, D.P., Multi-Level Channel Codes Based on Partitioning, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 35 (1989) 87–98.Google Scholar
- Sayegh, S.I., A Class of Optimum Block Codes in Signal Space, IEEE Trans. Comm. 30 (1986) 1043–1045.Google Scholar
- Takata, T., Ujita, S., Fujiwara, T., Kasami, T., Lin, S., Linear Structure and Error Performance Analysis of Block Coded PSK Modulation Codes, Trans. of IEICE of Japan J73-A (1990).Google Scholar
- Ungerboeck, G., Channel Coding with Multilevel/Phase Signals, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 28 (1982) 55–66.Google Scholar
- Wei, L.-F., Trellis-Coded Modulation with Multidimensional Constellations, IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory 33 (1987) 483–501.Google Scholar
- Zinoviev, V.A., Zyablov, V.V., Portnoy, S.L., Concatenated Methods for Construction and Decoding of Codes in Euclidean Space, Preprint, USSR Academy of Science, Institute for Problems of Information Transmission (1987).Google Scholar