Platypus: Inheritance and scientific discovery
PLATYPUS is a prototype of a knowledge base system designed to facilitate scientific discovery in complex domains. PLATYPUS incorporates semantic data modeling capabilities, implementing Codd's RM/T model in innovative ways.
Property inheritance provides both an efficient method of storing otherwise redundant data values, and a means of drawing inferences about domains of study. Inheritance systems must face issues concerning the modification of values, and exception handling. Drawing upon the biological analogy the present discussion has proposed the use of dominant versus recessive markers to control contingent inheritance. Finally, there has been a discussion of how inheritance can be implemented within the framework of an RM/T model.
KeywordsBinary Code Scientific Discovery Entity Type Scientific Database Exception Handling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cadiou, J. M. "On Semantic Issues in the Relational Model of Data." Proc. 5 th Symp. on Math. Foundations of Computer Science, 1976, Gdansk, Poland. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 45, Springer-Verlag, pp 23ff.Google Scholar
- 2.Codd, E. F. "Extending the Database Relational Model to Capture More Meaning." ACM Transactions on Database System, Vol. 4, No. 4. 1979. pp 397–434.Google Scholar
- 3.Collins, Allan and Michalski, Ryszard. "The Logic of Plausible Reasoning: A Core Theory." Cognitive Science, Vol. 13. 1989, pp 1–49.Google Scholar
- 4.Etherington, David W. and Reiter, Raymond. "On Inheritance Hierarchies with Exceptions." Readings in Knowledge Representation edited by Ronald J. Brachman and Hector J. Levesque. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, Inc. Los Altos, Ca. 1985. pp. 329–334.Google Scholar
- 5.Fahiman, Scott E. "Representing Implicit Knowledge." Parallel Models of Associative Memory edited by Geoffrey E. Hinton and James A. Anderson. Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc., Publishers, Hillsdale, NJ. 1981.Google Scholar
- 6.Hall, P., Owlett, J., and Todd, S. "Relations and Entities." In Modelling in Database Management Systems. G. M. Nijssen, Ed., North-Holland Pub. Co. Amsterdam. 1976.Google Scholar
- 7.Hinton, Geoffrey E. "Implementing Semantic Networks in Parallel Hardware." Parallel Models of Associative Memory. Lawrence Erlbaum Assoc., Publishers. Hillsdale, NJ. 1981.Google Scholar
- 8.Shoshani, Arie and Wong, Harry. "Statistical and Scientific Database Issues." IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. SE-11, No. 10. October, 1985. pp 1040–1047.Google Scholar
- 9.Shosham, Yoav. Reasoning About Change: Time and Causation from the Standpoint of Artificial Intelligence, MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1987.Google Scholar