Storm: A statistical object representation model
In this paper we explore the structure and semantic properties of the entities stored in statistical databases. We call such entities "statistical objects" (SOs) and propose a new "statistical object representation model", based on a graph representation. We identify a number of SO representational problems in current models and propose a methodology for their solution.
KeywordsStatistical Object Category Attribute Statistical Database Professional Category Sales Figure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [1st SDBM]Proc. of the first LBL Workshop on Statistical Database Management, Menlo Park, CA, 1981.Google Scholar
- [2nd SDBM]Proc. of the second Workshop on Statistical Database Management, Los Altos, CA, 1983.Google Scholar
- [3rd SSDBM]Proc. of the Third Workshop on Statistical and Scientific Database Management, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Chan & Shoshani 81]Chan P., Shoshani A. "SUBJECT: A Directory Driven System for Organizing and Accessing Large Statistical Databases" Proc. of the 7th Intern. Confer. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), 1981.Google Scholar
- [Ozsoyoglu et al 85]Ozsoyoglu, G., Ozsoyoglu, Z.M., and Mata, F., “A Language and a Physical Organization Technique for Summary Tables”, Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conf., 1985.Google Scholar
- [Rafanelli & Ricci 83]Rafanelli M., Ricci F.L. "Proposal of a Logical Model for Statistical Data" Base" in [1st SDBM]Google Scholar
- [Rafanelli et al. 89]Rafanelli M., Klensin C.J., Svensson P. Eds. "Statistical and Scientific Database Management" Lecture Notes in Computer Science, N. 339, Springer-Verlag Pub., 1989.Google Scholar
- [Shoshani 82]Shoshani A. Statistical Databases: Characteristics, Problems and Solutions" Proc. of the 7th Intern. Confer. on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), Mexico city, Mexico, 1982.Google Scholar
- [Shoshani & Wong 85]Shoshani A., Wong H.K.T. "Statistical and Scientific Database Issues" IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol.SE-11, N.10, October 1985.Google Scholar
- [Su 83]Su S.Y.W. "SAM*: A Semantic Association Model for Corporate and Scientific/Statistical Databases" Information Sciences, Vol. 29, N. 2 and 3, May and June 1983.Google Scholar
- [Wong 84]Wong H.K.T. "Micro and Macro Statistical/Scientific Database Management" Proc. of the 1st IEEE Intern. Confer. on Data Engineering, Los Angeles, CA, 1984.Google Scholar