Distributed deadlock detection and resolution with probes
We derive an algorithm for distributed deadlock detection and resolution which uses probes and allows an arbitrary priority scheme to choose a victim to abort after a deadlock has been detected. This algorithm is remarkable in that at least three incorrect versions of it have previously been published ([SiNa],[CKST87],[CKST89]). With careful attention to the properties of the wait-for-graph of the single resource model and definition of a simple and uniform framework for the underlying system, we are able to give an understandable and convincing derivation of the algorithm.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [CKST87]A.N. Choudhary, W.H. Kohler, J.A. Stankovic, D. Towsley. "A Priority Based Probe Algorithm for Distributed Deadlock Detection and Resolution" Proceeding of the 7th International Conference on Distributed Systems 1987. pp 162–168.Google Scholar
- [CKST89]A.N. Choudhary, W.H. Kohler, J.A. Stankovic, D. Towsley. “A Modified Priority Based Probe Algorithm for Distributed Deadlock Detection and Resolution" IEEE Trans on Soft Eng. 15:1, January 1989. pp 10–17.Google Scholar
- [Knapp]Edgar Knapp. "Deadlock Detection in Distributed Databases" ACM Computing Surveys, 19:4. December 1987.Google Scholar
- [MiMe]Don Mitchell and Michael Merritt. "A Distributed Algorithm for Deadlock Detection and Resolution" Proceedings of the AMC Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing. pp 282–284. 1984Google Scholar
- [SiNa]M. K. Sinha and N. Natarajan, "A Priority Based Distributed Deadlock Detection Algorithm" IEEE Trans on Soft Eng. SE-11:1. January 1985. pp 67–80.Google Scholar