Reducing photometry by computing atmospheric transmission
The transmission spectrum of the earth's atmosphere at every observatory can be computed if monitors are set up to determine the atmospheric structure and the abundance versus height of components that vary, such as water vapor and particulates. Photometric observations can be modelled and reduced using the measured instrumental bandpasses and the computed transmission. This method of reduction will greatly improve the quality of infrared photometry and may even be relevant in the visible where ozone, oxygen dimer, and water vapor affect photometric bandpasses. Here I describe the beginning of my work on this approach.
KeywordsSolar Flux Atmospheric Transmission Atmospheric Structure Line List National Solar Observatory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blickensderfer, R.P. and Ewing, G.E. 1969ab. Collision-induced absorption spectrum of gaseous oxygen at low temperatures and pressures. I. Journ. Chem. Phys., vol. 51, pp. 873–883; and, II. pp. 5284-5289.Google Scholar
- Clough, S.A., Kneizys, F.X., Shettle, E.P., and Anderson, G.P. 1986. Atmospheric radiance and transmittance: FASCOD2, in Proceedings, Sixth Conference on Atmospheric Radiation, Williamsburg, VA.Google Scholar
- Delbouille, L., Roland, G., Brault, J., and Testerman, L. 1981. Photometric Atlas of the Solar Spectrum from 1,850 to 10,000 cm −1 Kitt Peak National Observatory, Tucson, 177pp.Google Scholar
- Kneizys, F.X., Shettle, E.P., Gallery, W.O., Chetwynd, J.H.Jr., Abreu, L.W., Selby, J.E.A., Clough, S.A., and Fenn, R.W. 1983. Atmospheric transmittance/radiance: computer code LOWTRAN 6, AFGL-TR-83-0187 and supplement.Google Scholar
- Kurucz, R.L. and Avrett, E.H. 1981. Solar spectrum synthesis. I. A sample atlas from 224 to 300 nm. Smithsonian Astrophys. Obs. Spec. Rep. No. 391, 139 pp.Google Scholar
- Kurucz, R.L., Furenlid, I., Brault, J., and Testerman, L. 1984. Solar Flux Atlas from 296 to 1300nm. National Solar Observatory, Sunspot, New Mexico, 240 pp.Google Scholar
- Long, C.A. and Ewing, G.E. 1973. Spectroscopic investigations of van der Waals molecules. I. The infrared and visible spectra of (02)2. Journ. Chem. Phys., vol. 58, pp. 4824–4834.Google Scholar
- Rothman, L.S., Gamache, R.R., Goldman, A., Brown, L.R., Toth, R.A., Pickett, H.M., Poynter, R.L., Flaud, J.-M., Camry-Peyret, C., Barbe, A., Husson, N., Rinsland, C.P., and Smith, M.A.H. 1987. The HITRAN database: 1986 edition. Applied Optics, vol. 26, pp. 4058–4097.Google Scholar