A new search time update time tradeoff for the implicit dictionary
Part of the Lecture Notes in Computer Science book series (LNCS, volume 382)
- 650 Downloads
We show that the product of the search time with the update time must be in Ω(log3/2n) for any implicit dictionary of size n.
KeywordsSearch Algorithm Variant Location Search Tree Search Time Comparison Tree
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AVL]G. M. Adel'son-Vel'skii and Y. M. Landis, An algorithm for the Organization of Information, Dokl. Akad. Nauk UzSSR, Vol. 146, pages 263–266 (in Russian). English translation in Soviet Math. Dokl., Vol.3, 1962, pages 1259–1262.Google Scholar
- [BM]R. Bayer, E. McCreight, Organization and Maintenance of Large Ordered Indexes, Acta Informatica, Vol. 1, pages 290–306.Google Scholar
- [D]P. Derome, A Tradeoff Between the Search Time and the Update Time for the Implicit Dictionary, University of Toronto, Technical Report.Google Scholar
- [FNSSS]A. Fiat, M. Naor, A. A. Schäffer, J. P. Schmidt, and A. Siegel, Storing and Searching a Multikey Table, 20th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1988, pages 344–351.Google Scholar
- [H]D. Harel, Fast Updates of Balanced Trees with a Guaranteed Time Bound per Update, University of California, Irvine, Technical Report #154, August 1980.Google Scholar
- [M]J. I. Munro, An Implicit Data Structure Supporting Insertion, Deletion, and Search in O(log2 n) Time, Journal of Computer System Sciences, Vol. 33, 1986, pages 66–74.Google Scholar
- [MS]J. I. Munro, and H. Suwanda, Implicit Data Structures for Fast Search and Update, Journal of Computer System Sciences, Vol. 21, 1980, pages 236–250.Google Scholar
- [W]J. W. J. Williams, Algorithm 232: Heapsort, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 7 No. 6, pages 347–348.Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 1989