On the performance of orthogonal range queries in multiattribute and doubly chained trees
- 653 Downloads
We present results on the average search and access cost of orthogonal range queries on multiattribute trees and doubly chained trees. As an example, we study the effect of page size variation in a paginated tree. We show that pagination may decrease the search cost, but is liable to raise the access cost in considerable proportion with respect to the cost on a non paginated tree.
KeywordsInternal Node Average Cost Range Query Search Cost Conjunctive Query
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Flajolet, C. Puech: Partial match retrieval of multidimensional data. Journal of the A.C.M., Vol. 33, No 2, 371–407 (April 1986).Google Scholar
- D. Gardy, P. Flajolet, C. Puech: Average cost of orthogonal range queries in multiattribute trees. To appear in Information Systems, Vol. 14, No. 4, 1989.Google Scholar
- V. Gopalakrishna, C.E. Veni Madhavan: Performance evaluation of attribute-based tree organization. A.C.M. Transactions On Database Systems, Vol. 6, No 1, 69–87 (March 1980).Google Scholar
- S. Sitharama Iyengar, N.S.V. Rao, R.L. Kashyap, V.K. Vaishnavi: Multidimensional Data Structures: Review and Outlook. Advances in Computers, Academic Press, Vol. 27, 1988, 69–119.Google Scholar
- R.L. Kashyap, S.K.C. Subas, S.B. Yao: Analysis of the multiple-attribute-tree database organization. I.E.E.E. Transactions on Software Engeneering, Vol. SE-3, No 6, 451–467 (Nov. 1977).Google Scholar
- C. Puech: Méthodes d'analyse de structures de données dynamiques. Thèse d'Etat, Orsay (France), Avril 1984.Google Scholar
- N.S.V. Rao, S.S. Iyengar, R.L. Kashyap: An average-case analysis of MAT and inverted file. Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 62, No. 3, Dec. 1988, 251–266.Google Scholar
- P. Svensson: On search performance for conjunctive queries in compressed, fully transposed ordered files. Proc. Fifth International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 155–163 (3–5 Oct. 1979).Google Scholar