Discs and other related data structures
- 651 Downloads
We present a new data structure, DISCS, closely related to other well-known digital data structures: tries, Patricia tries and digital search trees. We compare the four of them from the point of view of search efficiency (internal path length, depth of insertion, key-bit inspection) and space (internal nodes, height). Completing some previous results, we derive asymptotic expressions for these parameters, notably for DISCS. We conclude by indications on the domain of application of these different data structures.
Keywordsanalysis of algorithms digital search search trees tries asymptotic analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS88]”A Diffusion Limit for a Class of Randomly-Growing Binary Trees” in Probability Theory and Related Fields 79, 4 (1988) 509–542.Google Scholar
- [FRS85a]”Algebraic Methods for Trie Statistics” in Annals of Discrete Mathematics 25 (1985) 145–188.Google Scholar
- [FRS85b]”Some Uses of the Mellin Transform Techniques in the Analysis of Algorithms” in Combinatorial Algorithms on Words, Springer NATO ASI SEr. F12, (1985) 241–254.Google Scholar
- [JR86]”Trie Partitioning Process:Limiting Distributions” in Proc. CAAP'86, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 214 (1986) 194–210.Google Scholar
- [JR87]”Normal Limiting Distribution of the Size of Tries” in Proc.Performance '87, North-Holland, P.-J. Courtois and G. Latouche Ed., (1987) 209–223.Google Scholar
- [KN73]The Art of Computer Programming. Vol 3:Sorting and Searching, Addison-Wesley,Reading,Mass.,(1973)Google Scholar
- [KPS89]”On the Balance Property of Patricia Tries: External Path Length Viewpoint” to appear in TCS, (1989).Google Scholar
- [LU86]”DISCS trees: a new data structure for DIgital Search by ComparisonS” in Dept. Inf. Syst. Comp. Sci., Nat. Univ. of Singapore, Res. Report TR11/86, (1986).Google Scholar
- [SE83]”Algorithms” Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass.,(1983).Google Scholar