Computing the center of area of a polygon
- 666 Downloads
The center of area of a polygon P is the unique point p* that maximizes the minimum area overlap between P and any halfplane that includes p*. We present several “numerical” algorithms for finding the coordinates of p* for a polygon of n vertices. These algorithms are numerical in the sense that we have been careful to express the algorithm complexities as a function of G, the number of bits used to represent the coordinates of the polygon vertices, and K, the number of desired bits of precision in the output coordinates of p*. For a convex polygon the algorithm runs in O(nGK); non-convex polygons offer considerably more challenge. For orthogonal non-convex polygons, we have an algorithm that runs in O(n2GK), but for general non-convex polygons, our algorithm's time complexity is O(n4 log nG K+n3G2K+nGK2).
KeywordsConvex Polygon Minimum Area Simple Polygon Lower Envelope Perpendicular Bisector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bru89]H. Brunn, 1889. B. Grünbaum, personal correspondence.Google Scholar
- [CY86]J. S. Chang and C. K. Yap. A polynomial solution for the potato-peeling problem. Discrete & Computational Geometry, 1(2):155–182, 1986.Google Scholar
- [DO88]M. G. Díaz and J. O'Rourke. Algorithms for computing the center of area of a convex polygon. Technical Report 88-26, Johns Hopkins University, 1988.Google Scholar
- [DO89]M. G. Díaz and J. O'Rourke. Computing the center of area of a simple polygon. Technical Report 89-03, Johns Hopkins University, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Ede87]H. Edelsbrunner. Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry, volume 10 of EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Grü63]B. Grünbaum. Measures of symmetry for convex sets. In Victor Klee, editor, Proceedings of Symposia in Pure Mathematics: Convexity, volume 7, pages 223–270. American Mathematical Society, 1963.Google Scholar
- [Grü72]B. Grünbaum. Arrangements and Spreads. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1972. Regional Conf. Ser. Math.Google Scholar
- [SS83]J. T. Schwartz and M. Sharir. On the piano movers' problem II: General techniques for computing topological properties of real algebraic manifolds. Adv. Appl. Math, 4:298–351, 1983.Google Scholar
- [Süs50]W. Süss. Ueber eibereiche mit mittlepunkt. Math.-Phys. Semesterber, 1:273–287, 1950.Google Scholar
- [YB61]I. M. Yaglom and V. G. Boltyanskii. Convex Figures, volume 4 of Library of the Mathematical Circle. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1961. Translated by Paul Kelly and Lewis Walton.Google Scholar