A spatial database shell for relational database management systems
SIRO-DBMS is a Spatial Information Systems database tool-kit implemented as a set of external attachments to a relational database management systems. It implements user data types through parameterised definitions of the user view of additional data types and of their internal representation. A spatial access method built on a 1-dimensional key and compatible with B-trees is also provided. Retrieval performance data with data sets of the sizes likely to be encountered in production systems are reported.
KeywordsGeographical Information System Spatial Database Database Management System Geometric Description Query Window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abel, D.J. (1988a), SIRO-DBMS User's Manual, TR-HA-88-1, CSIRO Division of Information Technology, Canberra, 168 pp.Google Scholar
- Abel, D.J. (1988b), Relational database management facilities for spatial information systems, Proceedings of 3rd Intl Symp on Spatial Data Handling, Sydney, 9–18.Google Scholar
- Abel, D.J. (1989), SIRO-DBMS: a database tool-kit for geographical information systems, Intl Jnl of Geographical Information Systems, to appear.Google Scholar
- Abel, D.J. and Smith, J.L. (1983), "A data structure and algorithm based on a linear key for a rectangle retrieval problem", Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, 24, 1–13.Google Scholar
- Abel, D.J. and Smith, J.L. (1984), "A data structure and query algorithm for a database of areal entities", Aust Comput J, 16, 147–154.Google Scholar
- Berman R. and Stonebraker, M. (1977), "GEO-QUEL: a system for the manipulation and Display of Geographic Data", Comp. Graphics 11, 186–191.Google Scholar
- Schek, H.J. and Waterfeld, W. (1986), "A database kernel system for geoscientific applications", Proceedings. 2nd Intl Symp. on Spatial Data Handling, 273–288.Google Scholar
- Stonebraker, M. and Rowe, L. (1986), "The design of POSTGRES", Proceedings ACM-SIGMOD, 340–355.Google Scholar