Concurrency in multidimensional linear hashing
Concurrency control schemes are developed to improve the throughput in a shared database by providing mechanisms which synchronize operations issued by concurrently executing processes. In this paper, we present efficient algorithms for concurrent operations in two structures; namely Multi-dimensional Linear Hashing and Interpolation-Based Index Maintenance. Both of these structures are extensions of Linear hashing to the multi-dimensional case. The concurrent scheme presented is an adaptation of the one proposed for linear hashing. The algorithms include searching for, inserting, and deleting data elements. These algorithms support a high degree of concurrency and are shown to be correct based on the restrictions imposed by the compatibility scheme.
KeywordsAddress Space Split Operation Concurrent Operation Small Search Space Compatibility Scheme
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bayer, R. and Schkolnick, M., “Concurrency of Operations on B-Trees,” Acta Informatica, vol. 9, pp. 1–21, 1977.Google Scholar
- Burkhard, Walter A., “Interpolation-Based Index Maintenance,” Proc Second ACM-SIGACT-SIGMOD Symp on Principles of Database System, pp. 76–85, 1983.Google Scholar
- Ellis, Carla S., “Concurrency in Linear Hashing,” ACM Transactions on Databases Systems, vol. 12(2), pp. 195–217, June 1987.Google Scholar
- Kwong, Yat-Sang and Wood, Derick, “A new Method for Concurrency in B-Trees,” IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, vol. SE-8(3), pp. 211–222, May 1982.Google Scholar
- Lehman, Philip L. and Yao, S. Bing, “Efficient Locking for Concurrent Operations on B-Trees,” ACM Transactions on Database Systems, vol. 6(4), pp. 650–670, December 1981.Google Scholar
- Litwin, Witold, “Linear Hashing: A New Tool for File and Table Addressing,” In Proceedings, 6th Conf on very Large Databases, pp. 212–223, 1980.Google Scholar
- Onuegbe, E.O. and Du, H.C., “A Locking Scheme for Associative Retrieval,” Unpublished Paper Google Scholar
- Ouksel, M. and Scheuermann, P., “Multi-dimensional Storage Mappings,” Proc Second ACM-SIGACT-SIGMOD Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 90–105, 1983.Google Scholar
- Ouksel, M. and Scheuermann, P., “Implicit Data Structures for Linear Hashing Schemes,” Information Processing Letters, vol. 29(4), pp. 183–189, 1988.Google Scholar
- Sagiv, Yehashua, “Concurrent operations on B-trees with overtaking,” Proc of the 4th ACM-SIGACT-SIGMOD Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 28–37, 1985.Google Scholar
- Salzberg, Betty, “Concurrency in Grid Files,” Inform Systems Journal, vol. 11(3), pp. 235–244, 1986.Google Scholar
- Samadi, B.S., “B-Trees in A System With Multiple Users,” Inform Process Lett, vol. 5(4), pp. 107–112, 1976.Google Scholar