An approach to manage large inheritance networks within a DBS supporting nested relations
- 123 Downloads
When developing large scale knowledge-based systems concepts are required for handling large knowledge bases as well as for guaranteeing the integrity of the knowledge base contents In this paper we present an approach for managing structured inheritance networks in an andvanced database system. Actually, we develop concepts for handling a KL-ONE like formalisms in an extended relational database system supporting nested relations. Of special importance is the handling of the general graph structure provided by KL-ONE like formalisms within the tree structure offered by nested relations. The described approach is oriented towards the specific requirements which have to be met in a natural language processing environment.
KeywordsGeneric Concept Application Programmer Interface Generic Role Individual Concept Concept Hierarchy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- /AbWi86/.Abarbanel, R./Williams, M.: A Relational Representation for Knowledge Bases, in: Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Expert Database Systems, Charleston, April 1986Google Scholar
- /Börn87/.Börner, St.: Database Support for Knowledge-based Systems, Master Thesis, Univ. of Karlsruhe, (also available as: IBM Germany, LILOG-Report No. 10, 1987)Google Scholar
- /BoNe83/.Bolt Beranek Research & Newman Inc.: Research in Knowledge Representation for Natural Language Understanding, Annual Report, Sept. 1982–Aug. 1983, Rep. No. 5421Google Scholar
- /BrSc85/.Brachmann, R./Schmolze, J.: An Overview of the KL-ONE Knowledge Representation System, in: Cognitive Science 9, (April 1985), 171–216Google Scholar
- /BrMy86/.Brodie, M.L./Mylopoulos, J.: On Knowledge Base Management Systems, Springer Verlag, 1986Google Scholar
- /CeGW86/.Ceri, S./Gottlob, G./Wiederhold, G.: Interfacing Relational Databases and Prolog Efficiently, in: Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Expert Database Systems, Charleston, April 1986Google Scholar
- /Dada86/.Dadam, P. et al.: A DBMS Prototype to Support Extended NF-2-Relations: An Integrated View on Flat Tables and Hierarchies, in: Proc. ACM SIGMOD Conf., Washington, 1986Google Scholar
- /ReSc88/.Reimer, U./Schek, H.-J.: A Frame-Based Knowledge Representation Model and its Mapping to Nested Relations, Universität Konstanz, Fachgruppe Politik-/Verwaltungswirtschaft, Technical Report 2/88, June 1988.Google Scholar
- /ScSc86/.Schek, H.-J./Scholl, M.: The Relational Model with Relation-Valued Attributes, in: Information Systems 11, 2 (1986), 137–147.Google Scholar