Accurate simulation of vortical flows
Even with recent supercomputers having a large memory, Navier-Stokes simulations for vortical flows do not provide satisfactory results because of the lack of grid resolution to accurately simulate the strength of separation vortices. To overcome this problem, a zonal method is proposed to increase the number of grid points locally. Interface scheme which is critical for an efficient and stable zonal method is based on the Fortified Navier-Stokes concept. Application to both two-dimensional conical and three-dimensional delta wing problems indicates this simple zonal method can improve the accuracy of vortical flow simulations.
KeywordsAIAA Paper Vortex Breakdown Delta Wing Grid Distribution Vortical Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Thomas, J. L., Taylor, S. L. and Anderson, K. A., “Navier-Stokes Computations of Vortical Flows over Low Aspect Ratio Wing,” AIAA Paper 87-0207, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Fujii, K. and Schiff, L. B., “Numerical Simulation of Vortical Flows over a Strake-Delta Wing,” AIAA Paper 87-1229, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Ying, X. S., Schiff, L. B. and Steger, J. L., “A Numerical Study of Three-Dimensional Separated Flow Past a Hemisphere Cylinder,” AIAA Paper 87-1207, 1987.Google Scholar
- 4.Fujii, K., Gavali, S. and Holst, T. L., “Evaluation of Navier-Stokes and Euler Solutions for Leading-Edge Separation Vortices,” Proc. ICNMLTF, July, 1987, also NASA TM 89458, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.Benek, J. A., Donegan, T. L. and Suhs, N. E., “Extended Chimera Grid Embedding Scheme with Application to Viscous Flows,” AIAA Paper 87-1126, 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Van Dalsem, W. R., and Steger, J. L., “Using the Boundary-Layer Equations in Three-Dimensional Viscous Flow Simulation,” Proc. AGARD Fluid Dynamics Panel Symposium on Application of CFD in Aeronautics, Apr. 7–10, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Vatsa, V. N., Thomas, J. L. and Wedan, B. W., “Navier-Stokes Computations of Prolate Spheroids at Angle of Attack,” AIAA Paper 87-2627, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Fujii, K and Obayashi, S., “The Use of High-Resolution Upwind Scheme for Vortical Flow Simulations,” to appear as NAL TR, Tokyo, Japan. *** DIRECT SUPPORT *** A3418252 00011Google Scholar