Data abstraction and query optimization
The use of data abstraction in object-oriented databases places a burden on the ability of the system to perform query optimization. This paper discusses a framework for query specification and optimization that is applicable to object-oriented database systems that take a strict view of data abstraction. It examines techniques that preserve much of the optimization potential of relational languages by limiting the query language. It further examines techniques for query optimization that involve type-specific rewrite rules.
KeywordsQuery Processing Query Language Data Abstraction Relational Algebra Query Optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BB84]Batory, D. and A. Buchmann, "Molecular Objects, Abstract Data Types, and Data Models: A Framework," Proceedings of the Conference on Very Large Databases, 1984.Google Scholar
- [BKK88]Banerjee, J., W. Kim, and K.C. Kim, "Queries in Object-Oriented Databases", Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Data Engineering, Los Angeles, CA, February, 1988.Google Scholar
- [GD87]Graefe, G. and D.J. DeWitt, "The EXODUS Optimizer Generator," Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, May, 1987.Google Scholar
- [HZ80]Hammer, M. and S.B. Zdonik, "Knowledge-Based Query Optimization," Proceedings of the Conference on Very Large Databases, Montreal, Canada, 1980.Google Scholar
- [KRB85]Kim, W., D.S. Reiner, and D.S. Batory, "Query Processing in Database Systems," Springer-Verlag, 1985.Google Scholar
- [MS86]Maier, D. and J. Stein, "Indexing in an Object-Oriented Database System," Proceedings of the International Workshop on Object-Oriented Database Systems, Pacific Grove, California, September, 1986.Google Scholar
- [MD86]Manola, F. and U. Dayal, "PDM: An Object-Oriented Data Model," Proceedings of the International Workshop on Object-Oriented Database Systems, Pacific Grove, California, September, 1986.Google Scholar
- [SBG83]Stonebraker, M., B. Rubenstein, and A. Guttman, "Applications of Abstract Data Types and Abstract Indices to CAD Databases," Engineering Design Applications, Proceedings from SIGMOD Database Week, May, 1983.Google Scholar
- [ZW86]Zdonik, S.B. and P. Wegner, "Language and Methodology for Object-Oriented Database Environments," Proceedings of the Nineteenth Annual International Conference on System Sciences, Honolulu, Hawaii, January 1986.Google Scholar