Views, data abstraction, and inheritance in the FUGUE data model
This paper defines a view mechanism analogous to relational views that simply and naturally extends the FUGUE object model [HZ88]. The paper then addresses the problems of providing data abstraction and inheritance in FUGUE. The proposed view mechanism is powerful enough to be used to capture the essential features of data abstraction and inheritance, while allowing us also to define application-specific views as is typically done in database systems. We also show how this mechanism can be used to model user-level views as well as system-level views of functions.
KeywordsData Abstraction External View Relational View Type Definition Type Binding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bl88]Blaustein, B., "On Object Identifiers", EIS project working paper, Computer Corporation of America, 1988.Google Scholar
- [GR83]Goldberg,A. and D. Robson, "Smalltalk-80, The Language and Its Implementation," Addison-Wesley, 1983.Google Scholar
- [HZ88]Heiler S. and S. Zdonik, "FUGUE: A Model for Engineering Information Systems and Other Baroque Applications," Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Data and Knowledge Bases, Jerusalem, June, 1988.Google Scholar
- [LG86]Liskov, B. and J. Guttag, Abstraction and Specification in Program Development, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1986.Google Scholar
- [LW86]Linn, J. and R. Winner, "Department of Defense Requirements for Engineering Information Systems,", Institute for Defense Analyses, Arlington, VA, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Ma87]Manola, F., "PDM: An Object-Oriented Data Model," Proceedings of the International Workshop on Object-Oriented Database Systems, September, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Sh81]Shipman, D., "The Functional Model and the Data Language DAPLEX," ACM Transactions on Database Systems, March, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Wi86]Wiederhold, G., "Views, Objects, and Databases," IEEE Computer, December, 1986.Google Scholar
- [Zd87]Zdonik, S., "Can Objects Change Type? Can Type Objects Change?," Proceedings of the Workshop on Database Programming Languages, Roscoff, France, Sept., 1987.Google Scholar