Secure Copyright Protection Techniques for Digital Images
This paper presents a new approach for the secure and robust copyright protection of digital images. A system for generating digital watermarks and for trading watermarked images is described. The system is based on a new watermarking technique, which is robust against image transformation techniques such as compression, rotation, translation, scaling and cropping. It uses modulation of the magnitude components in Fourier space to embed a watermark and an accompanying template and, during watermark extraction, reads a template in the log polar transform of the frequency domain. The template is used for analyzing scaling and rotation suffered by the watermarked stego-image. The detection of the watermarks is also possible without any need for the original cover-image. In addition, the system applies asymmetric cryptographic protocols for different purposes, namely embedding/detecting the watermark and transferring watermarked data. The public key technique is applied for the construction of a one-way watermark embedding and the verification function to identify and prove the uniqueness of the watermark. Legal dispute resolution is supported for the multiple watermarking of a digital image without revealing the confidential keying information.
KeywordsSignature Scheme Watermark Image Digital Watermark Copyright Protection Reed Solomon Code
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Cox, J. Killian, T. Leighton and T. Shamoon, “Secure spread spectrum communication for multimedia”, Technical report, N.E.C. Research Institute, 1995.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Caronni “Assuring Ownership Rights for Digital Images” in H. H. Brueggemann and W. Gerhardt-Haeckl, editors, Reliable IT Systems VIS’ 95, Vieweg, Germany, 1995, pp. 251–264.Google Scholar
- 3.W. G. Chambers, “Basics of Communications and Coding”, Oxford Science Publications. Clarendon Press Oxford, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Craver, Memon, B. Yeo and M. Yeung, “Can invisible marks resolve rightful ownerships?”, IS&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging’ 97: “Storage and Retrieval of Image and Video Databases”, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.J.-F. Delaigle, J-M. Boucqueau, J.-J. Quisquater and B. Macq, “Digital Images protection techniques in a broadcast framework: An overview”, Laboratoire de Télécommunications et de Télédéction, Université Catholique de Louvain, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Freier, P. Karlton and P. Kocher, “SSL Version 3.0”, Netscape Communications, Version 3.0, November 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.P. Horster, M. Michels, H. Petersen, ‘“Meta signature schemes giving message recovery based on the discrete logarithm problem”’, Proc. 2nd Int. Workshop on IT-Security, September, 1994, pp. 82–92.Google Scholar
- 9.ISO/ IEC 11770-3, “Information technology-Security techniques-Key management, Part 3: Mechanisms using asymmetric techniques”, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.M.G. Kuhn, “StirMark”, http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/fapp2/watermarking/stirmark/, November 1997.
- 11.K. Matsui and K. Tanaka, “Video-Steganography: How to secretly embed a signature in a picture”, IMA Intellectual Property Project Proceedings, January 1994, pp. 187–206.Google Scholar
- 12.A.J. Menezes, P.C. Van Oorschot and S.A. Vanstone, “Handbook of Applied Cryptography”, CRC Press, 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.J. K. óRuanaidh, W. J. Dowling and F. M. Boland, “Phase watermarking of images”, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, September 1996.Google Scholar
- 16.W. B. Pennebaker and J. L. Mitchell, “JPEG Still Image Compression Standard”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1993.Google Scholar
- 17.W.H. Press, S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling and B.P. Flannery, “Numerical Recipes in C”, Cambridge University Press, second edition, 1992.Google Scholar
- 19.B. Schneier, “Applied Cryptography”, Wiley, 2nd edition, 1995.Google Scholar
- 20.A. Z. Tirkel, G. A. Rankin, R. G. van Schyndel, W. J. Ho, N. R. A. Mee and C. F. Osborne, “Electronic watermark”, Dicta-93, December 1993, pp. 666–672.Google Scholar
- 21.A. Z. Tirkel, R. G. van Schyndel and C. F. Osborne, “a two-dimensional digital watermark”, Proc. ACCV’95, December 1995, pp. 378–383.Google Scholar
- 22.“UnZign”, http://www.altern.org/watermark/, 1997.
- 23.J. Zhao and E. Koch, “Embedding robust labels into images for copyright protection”, Technical report, Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics, Darmstadt, Germany, 1994.Google Scholar
- 24.J. Zhao, “A WWW Service To Embed And Prove Digital Copyright Watermarks”, Proc. Of the European Conference on Multimedia Application, Services and Techniques, May 1996.Google Scholar