Information Hiding to Foil the Casual Counterfeiter
Security documents (currency, treasury bills, stocks, bonds, birth certificates, etc.) provide an interesting problem space for investigating information hiding. Recent advances in the quality of consumer printers and scanners have allowed the application of traditional information hiding techniques to printed materials. This paper explores how some of those techniques might be used to address the problem of counterfeiting as the capability of home printers to produce “exact” copies improves.
KeywordsHost Image Information Hiding Joint Photographic Expert Group Patch Shape Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Adelson, Digital Signal Encoding and Decoding Apparatus, U.S. Patent No. 4,939,515 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.D. L. Hecht, “Embedded Data Glyph Technology for Hardcopy Digital Documents,” SPIE 2171 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Matsui and K. Tanaka, “Video-Steganography: How to Secretly Embed a Signature in a Picture,” IMA Intellectual Property Project Proceedings 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.R. C. Dixon, Spread Spectrum Systems, John Wiley & Sons Inc. New York 1976.Google Scholar
- 5.S. K. Marvin, Spread Spectrum Handbook, McGraw-Hill, Inc. New York 1985.Google Scholar
- 6.G. B. Rhoads, Method and apparatus responsive to a code signal conveyed through a graphic image, U.S. Patent No. 5,710,834 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.I. Cox, J. Kilian, T. Leighton, and T. Shamoon, “Secure Spread Spectrum Watermarking for Multimedia,” NECI Technical Report 95-10, NEC Research Institute, Princeton, NJ 1995.Google Scholar
- 9.W. Bender, D. Gruhl, N. Morimoto, and A. Lu, “Techniques for Datahiding,” IBM Systems Journal 35 3&4 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.W. Bender, D. Gruhl, and N. Morimoto, Method and Apparatus for Data Hiding in Images, U.S. Patent No. 5,689,587 1996.Google Scholar
- 11.“Fundamental Facts About Money,” Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, http://www.frbatlanta.org/publica/brochure/fundfac/money.htm 1997.
- 12.“Genuine or Counterfeit?,” Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, http://www.frbatlanta.org/publica/brochure/counter/counterf.htm 1997.
- 13.“Currency Page,” The Department of the Treasury, http://www.treas.gov/whatsnew/newcur/currency.html 1997.
- 14.“Ink-jet counterfeiting on the rise, ” Reuters, http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/content/reut/0401/302907.html April 1, 1998.