Security Aspects of the Ecash™ Payment System
Ecash is a payment system designed and implemented for making purchases over open networks such as the Internet. In this paper we review the main cryptographic techniques used throughout the ecash system. We will focus on security aspects as well as some performance related issues. The central notion of an electronic coin is treated in detail, and the basic protocols manipulating coins are described.
KeywordsSmart Card Payment System Blind Signature Security Aspect Payment Protocol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBC+94]J.-P. Boly, A. Bosselaers, R. Cramer, R. Michelsen, S. MjØlsnes, F. Muller, T. Pedersen, B. Pfitzmann, P. de Rooij, B. Schoenmakers, M. Schunter, L. Vallée, and M. Waidner. The ESPRIT Project CAFE-High Security Digital Payment Systems. In Computer Security-ESORICS 94, volume 875 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 217–230, Berlin, 1994. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [BGH.+ 95] M. Bellare, J. Garay, R. Hauser, A. Herzberg, H. Krawczyk, M. Steiner, G. Tsudik, and M. Waidner. iKP — a family of secure electronic payment protocols. In First USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Bra94a]S. Brands. Untraceable off-line cash in wallet with observers. In Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO ‘93, volume 773 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 302–318, Berlin, 1994. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Bra94b]S. Brands. Off-line cash transfer by smart cards. In V. Cordonnier and J.-J. Quisquater, editors, Proceedings First Smart Card Research and Advanced Application Conference, pages 101–117, 1994. Also as report CS-R9455, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica.Google Scholar
- [CFN90]D. Chaum, A. Fiat, and M. Naor. Untraceable electronic cash. In Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO ‘88, volume 403 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 319–327, Berlin, 1990. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Cha83]D. Chaum. Blind signatures for untraceable payments. In D. Chaum, R.L. Rivest, and A.T. Sherman, editors, Advances in Cryptology-CRYPTO ‘82, pages 199–203, New York, 1983. Plenum Press.Google Scholar
- [Cha90]D. Chaum. Online cash checks. In Advances in Cryptology-EUROCRYPT ‘89, volume 434 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 288–293, Berlin, 1990. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Cha92]D. Chaum. Achieving electronic privacy. Scientific American, pages 96–101, August 1992.Google Scholar
- [Fer94]N. Ferguson. Single term off-line coins. In Advances in Cryptology—EUROCRYPT ‘93, volume 765 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 318–328, Berlin, 1994. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [FY93]M. Franklin and M. Yung. Secure and efficient off-line digital money. In Automata, Languages and Programming, ICALP 93, volume 700 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 265–276, Berlin, 1993. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- [Sch95]B. Schoenmakers. An efficient electronic payment system withstanding parallel attacks. Report CS-R9522, Centrum voor Wiskunde en Informatica, March 1995.Google Scholar