Extracting Facial Motion Parameters by Tracking Feature Points
A method for extracting facial motion parameters is proposed. The method consists of three steps. First, the feature points of the face, selected automatically in the first frame, are tracked in successive frames. Then, the feature points are connected with Delaunay triangulation so that the motion of each point relative to the surrounding points can be computed. Finally, muscle motions are estimated based on motions of the feature points placed near each muscle. The experiments showed that the proposed method can extract facial motion parameters accurately. In addition, the facial motion parameters are used to render a facial animation sequence.
KeywordsFacial Expression Feature Point Delaunay Triangulation Circular Muscle Facial Motion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Massaro, D, W.: Perceiving Talking Faces, MIT Press (1998).Google Scholar
- 2.Ekman, P., Friesen, W.V.: The Facial Action Coding System, Consulting Psychologists Press, Inc., (1978).Google Scholar
- 3.Terzopoulos, D., Waters, K.: Physically-based facial modeling, analysis, and animation, The J. of Visualization and Computer Animation, 1(2) (1990) 73–80.Google Scholar
- 5.Mase, K.: Recognition of facial expression from optical flow, IEICE Trans., E74(10) (1991) 3474–3483.Google Scholar
- 6.Essa, I. A., Pentland, A.: Coding, Analysis, Interpretation, and Recognition of Facial Expressions, IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 19(7) (1997).Google Scholar
- 7.Otsuka, T., Ohya, J.: Recognizing Multiple Persons’ Facial Expressions Using HMM Based on Automatic Extraction of Significant Frames from Image Sequences, ICIP’97, vol.II (1997) 546–549.Google Scholar
- 8.DeCarlo, D., Metaxas, D.: Deformable Modes-Based Shape and Motion Analysis from Images using Motion Residual Error, Proc. ICCV’98 (1998) 113–119.Google Scholar
- 9.Cambridge Digital Research Laboratory: FaceWorks, URL http://www.interface.digital.com/.
- 10.Shi, J., Tomasi, C.: Good features to track, Proc of the IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (1994) 593–600, 1994.Google Scholar
- 13.de Berg, M., van Kreveld, M., Overmars, M., Schwarzkopf, O.: Computational Geometry, Chapter 9. Springer-Verlag (1997).Google Scholar
- 15.Otsuka, T., J. Ohya, J.: Converting Facial Expressions Using Recognition-Based Analysis of Image Sequences, ACCV’98, vol. II (1998) 703–710.Google Scholar