Extended Digital Video Broadcasting with Time-Lined Hypermedia
In recent years, digital broadcasting services have started up and spread all over the world. Digital broadcasting is one of the most promising infrastructures to provide interactive services aimed at consumers. However, the broadcast bandwidth has an upper bound limitation. This paper describes our proposition, a hypermedia model, called Time-lined Hypermedia, which is designed to provide a large hypermedia navigation space in a limited broadcast bandwidth. We also describe an implementation for time-lined hypermedia called Digital Video eXtension system.
KeywordsInteractive Service Graphic Object Program Part Remote Controller Navigation Information
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.DAVIC 1.2 Specification. Digital Audio Video Council, 1996. http://www.davic.org
- 2.ISC/IEC 13522. Information technology-coding of multimedia and hypermedia information: Part 5-support for base level interactive applications. Technical report, IS, 1996 (MHEG5)Google Scholar
- 3.A. Antoniazzi and G. Schapeler. An open software architecture for multimedia consumer terminal. In proceedings of the Second European Conference on Multimedia Applications, Services and Techniques (ECMAST’97), pp. 621–634 May 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Acharya, R. Alonso, M. Franklib, and S. Zdonik. Broadcast disks: Data management for asymmetric communication environment. In proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Annual International Conference on management of Data, pp. 199–210, May 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Kate Gerwig, “The push technology rage...so what’s next?” ACM netWorker: The Craft of Network computing, Vol.1 No.2 (July/Aug 1997, Pages 13–17.Google Scholar
- 6.DVB-SI. Digital broadcasting systems for television, sound and data services: Specification for service information (SI) in digital video broadcasting (DVB) system. Technical report, ETSI ETS 300 468, TM1217, October 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.ISO/IEC 13818-1. Information Technology-Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio Recommendation H.222.0 (systems), 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.ISO/IEC 13818-6. Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information-part 6: Extension for digital storage media command and control (DSM-CC), 1997Google Scholar
- 9.DIRECTV Japan. URL: http://www.directv.co.jp