Designing the Global Data Warehouse with SPJ Views
A global Data warehouse (DW) integrates data from multiple distributed heterogeneous databases and other information sources. A global DW can be abstractly seen as a set of materialized views. The selection of views for materialization in a DW is an important decision in the implementation of a DW. Current commercial products do not provide tools for automatic DW design.
In this paper we provide a generic method that, given a set of SPJ-queries to be satisfied by the DW, generates all the ‘significant’ sets of materialized views that satisfy all the input queries. This process is complex since ’common subexpressions’ between the queries need to be detected and exploited. Our method is then applied to solve the problem of selecting such a materialized view set that fits in the space allocated to the DW for materialization and minimizes the combined overall query evaluation and view maintenance cost. We design algorithms which are implemented and we report on their experimental evaluation.
- A. Gupta and I. S. Mumick. Maintenance of materialized views: Problems, techniques and applications. Data Engineering, 18(2):3–18, 1995.Google Scholar
- H. Gupta. Selection of Views to Materialize in a Data Warehouse. In Proc. of the 6th Intl. Conf. on Database Theory, pages 98–112, 1997.Google Scholar
- H. Gupta, V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. D. Ullman. Index Selection for OLAP. In Proc. of the 13th Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, pages 208–219, 1997.Google Scholar
- V. Harinarayan, A. Rajaraman, and J. D. Ullman. Implementing Data Cubes Efficiently. In Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data, 1996.Google Scholar
- W. Labio, D. Quass, and B. Adelberg. Physical Database Design for Data Warehousing. In Proc. of the 13th Intl. Conf. on Data Engineering, 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Levy, A. O. Mendelson, Y. Sagiv, and D. Srivastava. Answering Queries using Views. In Proc. of the ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pages 95–104, 1995.Google Scholar
- D. Quass, A. Gupta, I. S. Mumick, and J. Widom. Making Views Self Maintainable for Data Warehousing. In PDIS, 1996.Google Scholar
- K. A. Ross, D. Srivastava, and S. Sudarshan. Materialized View Maintenance and Integrity Constraint Checking: Trading Space for Time. In Proc. of the ACM SIGMOD Intl. Conf. on Management of Data, pages 447–458, 1996.Google Scholar
- D. Theodoratos, S. Ligoudistianos, and T. Sellis. Designing the Global DW with SPJ Queries. Technical Report, Knowledge and data Base Systems Laboratory, Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept., National Technical University of Athens, Nov. 1998.Google Scholar
- D. Theodoratos and T. Sellis. Data Warehouse Configuration. In Proc. of the 23rd Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, pages 126–135, 1997.Google Scholar
- D. Theodoratos and T. Sellis. Data Warehouse Schema and Instance Design. In Proc. of the 17th Intl. Conf. on Conceptual Modeling (ER’98), 1998.Google Scholar
- J. Yang, K. Karlapalem, and Q. Li. Algorithms for Materialized View Design in Data Warehousing Environment. In Proc. of the 23rd Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, pages 136–145, 1997.Google Scholar