Effcient Shape Retrieval by Parts
Modern visual information retrieval systems support retrieval by directly addressing image visual features such as color, texture, shape and spatial relationships. However, combining useful representations and similarity models with effcient index structures is a problem that has been largely underestimated. This problem is particularly challenging in the case of retrieval by shape similarity.
In this paper we discuss retrieval by shape similarity, using local features and metric indexing. Shape is partitioned into tokens in correspondence with its protrusions, and each token is modeled by a set of perceptually salient attributes. Two distinct distance functions are used to model token similarity and shape similarity. Shape indexing is obtained by arranging tokens into a M-tree index structure. Examples from a prototype system are expounded with considerations about the effectiveness of the approach.
KeywordsIndex Structure Visual Query Precision Recall Query Shape Token Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Faloutsos, C., Flickner, M., Niblack, W., Petkovic, D., Equitz, W., Barber, R.: The QBIC Project: Effcient and Effective Querying by Image Content. Res. Report 9453, IBM Res. Div. Almaden Res.Center, (1993).Google Scholar
- 3.Patella, M., Ciaccia, P., Zezula, P.: M-tree: An effcient access method for similarity search in metric spaces. In: Proc. of the International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB). Athens, Greece, (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.Tamura, H., Mori, S., Yamawaki, T.: Texture Features Corresponding to Visual Perception. IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics. Vol. 6,no. 4, (1976) 460–473.Google Scholar
- 7.Picard, R.: A Society of Models for Video and Image Libraries. MIT Media Lab Perceptual Computing Section T.R. no. 360, (1995).Google Scholar
- 9.Pentland, A., Picard, R.W., Sclaroff, S.: Photobook: Tools for Content-Based Manipulation of Image Databases. In: Proc. SPIE Storage and Retrieval for Image and Video Database. San Kose CA, (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.Mehrotra, R., Gary, J.E.: Similar-Shape Retrieval in Shape Data Management. IEEE Computer, (1995) 57–62.Google Scholar
- 14.Chang, S.K., Shi, Q.Y., Yan, C.W.: Iconic Indexing by 2-D Strings. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence. Vol. 9,no. 3, (1987) 413–427.Google Scholar
- 15.Egenhofer, M.J., Franzosa, R.: Point-set Topological Spatial Relations. International Journal of Geographical Information Systems. Vol. 9,no. 2, (1992).Google Scholar