NIIRS and Objective Image Quality Measures
The introduction of image distortion during compression is of widespread concern, to the extent that the nature and size of the distortion may influence the choice of codec. The ability to quantify the distortion for particular applications is therefore highly desirable, particularly when options for new compression standards (such as JPEG 2000) are being considered. We report on the performance of several degradation measures that have been evaluated on optical imagery having previously undergone compression by the JPEG, wavelet and VQ codecs. The results show the relationship between the subjective National Imagery Interpretability Rating Scale (NIIRS) and several numerical image quality measures. An insight is provided into factors influencing NIIRS evaluation.
KeywordsMean Square Error Human Visual System Normalise Mean Square Error Joint Photographic Expert Group Wavelet Compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. Osberger, N. Bergmann, An Automatic Image Quality Assessment Technique Incorporating Higher Level Perceptual Factors, submitted to Signal Processing, available at internet URL http://www.scsn.bee.qut.edu.au/~wosberg/pub.htm.
- 2.M. G. Ramos, S. S. Hemami, Activity selective SPIHT coding to be published in the Proceedings of SPIE 11th International Symposium of Electronic Imaging January 1999.Google Scholar
- 3.I. Rabinovitch, A. N. Venetsanopoulos, High Quality Image Compression Using the Wavelet Transform Proc ICIP 1997 p283–286.Google Scholar
- 4.IRARS, NIIRS: Civil NIIRS Reference Guide, March 1996, http://www.fas.org/irp/imint/niirs_c/index.html.
- 5.MIL-STD-188-198A Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) Image Compression for the National Imagery Transmission Format Standard, December 1993. http://126.96.36.199/ntb/ntb_docs/status.html#baseline.
- 6.STANAG 4545, Edition 1, Ratification Draft 2, NATO Secondary Imagery Format(NSIF)http://www.nato.int/docu/standard.html, June 1998.
- 7.National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) National Imagery Transmission Format Standard-Image Compression Users Handbook Final Draft 4th June 1998. http://188.8.131.52/ntb/ntb_docs/status.html#baseline.
- 8.IJPEG internet site: ftp://ftp.net.com.com/pub/tg/tgl/jpg version 6 of the IJPEG codec.
- 9.http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~gdavis/wavelet/wavelet.html version 0.3 of the Baseline Wavelet Transform Coder Construction Kit. 01/29/97.
- 10.ftp://isdl.ee.washington.edu/pub/VQ/code/stdvq Vector Quantisation Source code.
- 11.A. M. Eskicioglu, P. S. Fisher. Image Quality Measures and their Performance, IEEE Trans. on Communications, Vol 43,No. 12, December 1995.Google Scholar
- 12.P. M. Farrelle. Recursive Block Coding for Image Data Compression. Springer-Verlag Books. pp104–108.Google Scholar