Geodesic Path Based Interpolation Using Level Sets Propagation
The main task of medical 3D reconstruction is to build accurately an isotropic volume consisting of cubic voxels from 2D serial cross sections. However, the spacing between the slices is typically much greater than the size of a pixel within the slice. Therefore, interpolation between the slices is of great importance. This paper presents a new kind of contour interpolation method in order to overcome the drawbacks of the existing methods. It assumes being applied after a segmentation step extracting the contours, and after a contour association step in order to avoid pathological cases. Moreover, it is based on the geodesic metric instead of Euclidean metric, and allows the interpolation of complex contours with concavities.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Cutting, C., Grayson, D.D.S., Bookstein, F., Fellingham, L., McCarthy, J.G.: Computer-aided planning and evaluation of facial and orthognathic surgery. Comput. Plastic Surg. 13 (1986) 449–462Google Scholar
- 9.Herman, G.T., Zheng, J.S., Bucholtz, C.A.: Shape-based interpolation. IEEE CG&A. 12 (1992) 69–79Google Scholar
- 10.Migeon, B., Vieyres, P., Marché, P.: Interpolation of star-shaped contours for the creation of lists of voxels. Application to 3D visualisation of long bones. Int. J. CADCAM Comput. Graph. 9 (1994) 579–587Google Scholar
- 11.Dufrenois, F., Durin, H., Reboul, S., Dubus, J.P.: Contour interpolation using snakes. Application to 3D reconstruction from tomograph images. Innov. Tech. Biol. Med. 16, (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Migeon, B., Deforge, P., Marché, P.: A contour association method for the 3D reconstruction of long bones obtained with the URTURIP Technique. In Proc. of IEEE EMBS (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Cormen, T.; Leiserson, C.; Rivest; R.: Introduction to Algorithms. Mc Graw Hill. (1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Kimmel, R., Amir, A. Burckstein.: Finding shortest paths on surfaces using level sets propagation. IEEE Trans. on PAMI. 17 (1995) 635–640Google Scholar