Homomorphisms and concurrent term rewriting
In this paper we study applications of relations based on rewrite systems to regular tree languages. For instance, we want to deal with decidability problems of the form “R el(L 1) ⊆ L 2” where L 1, L 2 are regular tree languages and R el can be either IO, OI, parallel, or one step rewriting for a given rewrite system. Our method somehow standardizes previous ones because it reveals conditions R el must fulfill to preserve recognizability for the language R el(L 1). Thanks to classes of recognizable languages wider than the regular one, we get some new results. We pursue this method to tackle the problem of computing the set of descendants of a regular tree language by a rewrite system.
KeywordsNormal Form Regular Language Inclusion Problem Ground Term Tree Automaton
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BST99]B. Bogaert, F. Seynhaeve, and S. Tison. The recognizability problem for tree automata with comparisons between brothers. In W. Thomas, editor, Proceedings, Foundations of Software Science and Computation Structures, number 1578 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Amsterdam, 1999. Springer Verlag.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [CDG+97]_H. Comon, M. Dauchet, R. Gilleron,, F. Jacquemard, D. Lugiez, S. Tison, and M. Tommasi. Tree automata techniques and applications. Available on: http://www.grappa.univ-lille3.fr/tata, 1997.
- [DT90]M. Dauchet and S. Tison. The theory of ground rewrite systems is decidable. In Proceedings, Fifth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, pages 242–248. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Eng78]J. Engelfriet. A hierarchy of tree transducers. In Proceedings of the third Les Arbres en Algèbre et en Programmation, pages 103–106, Lille, 1978.Google Scholar
- [FJSV98]A. Fülöp, E. Jurvanen, M. Steinby, and S. Vágvölgy. On one-pass term rewriting. In L. Brim, J. Gruska, and J. Zlatusaksv, editors, Proceedings of Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, volume 1450 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 248–256. Springer Verlag, 1998.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [GS84]F. Gècseg and M. Steinby. Tree Automata. Akademiai Kiado, 1984.Google Scholar
- [Jac96a]F. Jacquemard. Automates d'arbres et rèècriture de termes. PhD thesis, Universitè de Paris XI, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Jac96b]F. Jacquemard. Decidable approximations of term rewriting systems. In H. Ganzinger, editor, Proceedings. Seventh International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, volume 1103 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Nip98]T. Nipkow, editor. Proceedings. Ninth International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, volume 1379 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Tsukuba, 1998.Google Scholar