Axiomatization of the coherence property for categories of symmetries
Given an equational theory (Σ, E), a relaxed (Σ, E)-system is a category S enriched with a Σ-algebra structure on both objects and arrows such that a natural isomorphism σ S ⇒ t′S), called natural symmetry, exists for each t = E t′. A symmetry is an instance of a natural symmetry. A category of symmetries, which includes only symmetries, is a free object in the category of relaxed (Σ, E)-systems. The coherence property states that the diagrams in a category of symmetries are commutative. In this paper we present a method for expressing the coherence property in an axiomatic way.
KeywordsCommutative Diagram Natural Transformation Natural Isomorphism Monoidal Category Coherent System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.N. Dershowitz and J.-P. Jouannaud. Rewrite systems. In Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science. Elsevier Science, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.Răzvan Diaconescu and Kokichi Futatsugi. CafeOBJ Report: The Language, Proof Techniques, and Methodologies for Object-Oriented Algebraic Specification, volume 6 of AMAST Series in Computing. World Scientific, 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.D. Lucanu. On the axiomatization of the category of symmetries. Technical report TR-98-03, University “Al.I.Cuza” of Iaşi, Computer Science Department, December 1998. http://www.infoiasi.ro/~dlucanu/reports.html.
- 5.D. Lucanu. Relaxed models for concurrent rewriting logic. Internal report, University “Al.I.Cuza” of Iaşi, Computer Science Department, November 1998. URL: http://www.infoiasi.ro/~dlucanu/.
- 6.S. MacLane. Category theory for working mathematician. Springer Verlag Berlin, 1971.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Meseguer. A logical theory of concurrent objects and its realization in the Maude language. In Gul Agha, Peter Wegner, and Akinori Yonezawa, editors, Research Directions in Concurrent Object-Oriented Programming. The MIT Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.V. Sassone. On the category of Petri net computation. In TAPSOFT’95, LNCS, pages 334–348. Springer Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- 10.V. Sassone. An axiomatization of the algebra of Petri net concatenable processes. to appear in Theoretical Computer Science, 1997.Google Scholar