Improving the Diagnostic Performance of MUNIN by Remodelling of the Diseases
The paper describes a revision of the structure of MUNIN, a causal probabilistic network that specifies a stochastic model of the relations between a range of neuromuscular diseases and the findings associated with these diseases. The stochastic model was revised 1) to achieve a more flexible specification of the anatomical distribution of findings associated with the diseases, 2) to allow diagnosis of diseases or groups of diseases (e.g. polyneuropathies and motor neuron diseases) previously lumped under the common concept of diffuse neuropathy and 3) to model the correlation between carpal tunnel syndrome on the left and right side. Minor adjustments were also made to some of the conditional probabilities used to specify the pathophysiology of the diseases.
The diagnostic capability of the revised model was evaluated by letting MUNIN diagnose 30 cases. The evaluation showed that the revised model performed better with a sensitivity of 94% and a specificity also of 94%.
KeywordsCarpal Tunnel Syndrome Motor Neuron Disease Myotonic Dystrophy Nerve Lesion Motor Neuron Disease
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andreassen S, Jensen FV, Andersen SK, Falck B, Kjærulff U, Woldbye M, Sørensen AR, Rosenfalck A and Jensen F 1989. MUNIN — an expert EMG assistant. In: Computer-aided electromyography and expert systems, ed. JE Desmedt. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp. 255–277.Google Scholar
- 5.Jensen FV 1996. An introduction to Bayesian networks. UCL Press.Google Scholar
- 7.Olesen KG and Andreassen S 1996. A heuristic method for diagnosing multiple diseases in complex medical domains modelled by causal probabilistic networks. In: Medical Informatics Europe’ 96, eds. J Brender et al. IOS Press, pp. 614–618.Google Scholar
- 8.Pearl J 1988. Probabilistic reasoning in intelligent systems. Morgan Kaufmann.Google Scholar
- 9.Suojanen M, Olesen KG and Andreassen S 1997. A method for diagnosing in large medical expert systems based on causal probabilistic networks. In: Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1211, Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Medicine Europe (AIME’97), eds. E Keravnou et al. Springer, pp. 285–295.Google Scholar
- 11.Suojanen M, Andreassen S and Olesen KG 2001. A Method for Diagnosing Multiple Diseases in MUNIN. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering. In press.Google Scholar