A Parallel Robust Multigrid Algorithm Based on Semi-coarsening
This paper compares two common approaches to achieve robustness in the parallel multigrid resolution of anisotropic operators on structured grids: alternating plane smoothers with full coarsening and plane smoothers combined with semicoarsening. Both, numerical and architectural properties are compared. A parallel implementation based on MPI is studied in a realistic way by considering the exploitation of the cache memory and the negative effect that the parallelization has on the convergence properties of the methods.
KeywordsCoarse Grid Domain Decomposition Multigrid Method Memory Hierarchy Convergence Factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Brandt, Multigrid techniques: 1984 guide with applications to fluid dynamics, Tech. Rep. GMD-Studien 85, May 1984.Google Scholar
- 2.J. E. Deny, S. F. McCormick, J. Ruge, T. Russell, and S. Schaffer, Multigrid-methods for three-dimensional petroleum reservoir simulation, in Tenth SPE Symposium on Reservoir Simulation, february 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Espadas, M. Prieto, I. M. Llorente, and F. Tirado, Parallel resolution of alternating-line processes by means of pipelined techniques, in Proceedings of the 7th. Euromicro Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Systems, IEEE Computer Society Press, Febraury 1999, pp. 289–296.Google Scholar
- 5.I. M. Llorente and N. D. Melson, Robust multigrid smoothers for three dimensional elliptic equations with strong anisotropies, Tech. Rep. 98-37, ICASE, 1998.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Prieto, I. Llorente, and F. Tirado, Partitioning regular domains on modern parallel computers, in Proceedings of the 3th International Meeting on Vector and Parallel Processing, J.M. L.M. Palma, J. Dongarra, and V. Hernández, eds., 1999, pp. 411–424.Google Scholar
- 9.D. Xie and L. R. Scott, The parallel u-cycle multigrid method, in Proceedings of the 8th Copper Mountain Conference on Multigrid Methods, 1996.Google Scholar