Implementing MPI’s One-Sided Communications for WMPI
One-sided Communications is one of the extensions to MPI set out in the MPI-2 standard. We present here a thread-based imple- mentation of One-sided Communications written for WMPI, an existing Windows implementation of MPI written at the Universidade de Coim- bra. This is a major step towards WMPI incorporating the MPI-2 stan- dard, with the further benefit of contributing to the thread safety of WMPI. We discuss the main design decisions associated with the im- plementation and consider further research work required in this area to improve both the existing implementation and to assess other implemen- tations of One-sided Communications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Message Passing Interface Forum, “MPI-2: Extensions to the Message-Passing Interface”, June 1997.Google Scholar
- 2.Marinho, José, Silva, Jo~ao Gabriel: WMPI-Message Passing Interface for Win32 Clusters, in Proc. of 5th European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting, pp. 113–120, September 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.José Marinho: Realização Prática da Norma MPI para Redes de ComputadoresPessoais, MSc thesis, August 1996, Universidade de CoimbraGoogle Scholar
- 4.William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, “MPICH Working Note: Creating a new MPICH device using the Channel interface-DRAFT”, ANL/MCS-TM-000, Argonne National Laboratory, Mathematics and Computer Science DivisionGoogle Scholar
- 5.William Gropp, Ewing Lusk, “MPICH ADI Implementation Reference Manual-DRAFT”, ANL-000, Argonne National Laboratory, August 23, 1995Google Scholar
- 6.Ralph Butler, Ewing Lusk, “User’s Guide to the p4 Parallel Programming System”, Argonne National Laboratory, Technical Report TM-ANL-92/17, October 1992, Revised April 1994Google Scholar
- 7.W. Gropp, E. Lusk, N. Doss, and A. Skjellum: “A High-Performance, Portable Implementation of the MPI Message Passing Interface Standard”, Pre-print MCSP567-0296, July 1996.Google Scholar
- 8.Mark Baker, “MPI on NT: The Current Status and Performance of the Available environments”, in Proc. of 5th European PVM/MPI Users’ Group Meeting, pp. 63–73, September 1998.Google Scholar