The design for a high performance MPI implementation on the Myrinet network
We present our MPI-BIP implementation, designed for Myrinet networks, and based on MPICH. By using our “Basic Interface for Parallelism: BIP” software layer, we obtain in this implementation of the MPI protocols results close to the peak hardware performance of the high speed Myrinet network. We present the protocols we used to implement the MPI semantics, and the overall design of the implementation. We, then, present benchmarks and application results to show that this design leads to parallel multicomputer-like throughput and latency on a cluster of PC workstations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Myricom gm. http://www.myri.com:80/GM/.
- 2.Anindya Basu, Vineet Buch, Werner Vogels, and Thorsten von Eicken. U-Net: A user-level network interface for parallel and distributed computing. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), Copper Mountain, Colorado, December 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Chi-Chao Chang, Grzegorz Czajkowski, Chris Hawblitzel, and Thorsten von Eicken. Low-latency communication on the IBM RISC system/6000 SP. ACM/IEEE Supercomputing’ 96, November 1996.Google Scholar
- 4.Jack Dongarra and Tom Dunigan. Message-passing performance of various computers. Technical Report CS-95-299, University of Tennessee, July 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.Dave Dunning and Greg Regnier. The Virtual Interface Architecture. In Hot Interconnects V, Stanford, USA, August 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.Al Geist, Adam Beguelin, Jack Dongarra, Weicheng Jiang, Robert Manchek, and Vaidy Sunderam. PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine: A Users’ Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing. Scientific and engineering computation. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.Yutaka Ishikawa Hiroshi Tezuka, Atsushi Hori. Pm:a high-performance communication library for multi-user paralllel environments. Technical Report TR-96015, RWC, 1996. http://www.rwcp.or.jp/lab/pdslab/papers.html.
- 9.M. Lauria and A. Chien. MPI-FM: High performance MPI on workstation clusters. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, February 1997.Google Scholar
- 10.Francis O’Carroll, Atsushi Hori, Hiroshi Tezuka, and Yutaka Ishikawa. The design and implementation of zero copy MPI using commodity hardware with a high performance network. ACM SIGARCH ICS’98, pages 243–250, July 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.S. Pakin, V. Karamcheti, and A. Chien. Fast messages (FM): Efficient, portable communication for workstation clusters and massively-parallel processors. IEEE Concurrency, 1997.Google Scholar
- 12.Loïc Prylli and Bernard Tourancheau. BIP: a new protocol designed for high performance networking on myrinet. Workshop PC-NOW, IPPS/SPDP98, 1998.Google Scholar
- 13.Loïc Prylli, Bernard Tourancheau, and Roland Westrelin. Modeling of a high speed network to maximize throughput performance: the experience of BIP over myrinet. Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA’98), 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.T. von Eicken, D.E. Culler, S. C. Goldstein, and K. E. Schauser. Active messages: a mechanism for integrated communication and computation. In Proceedings of the 19th Int’l Symp. on Computer Architecture, Gold Coast, Australia, may 1992.Google Scholar
- 15.Roland Westrelin. Réseaux haut débit et calcul parallèle: étude de myrinet. Master’s thesis, ENS Lyon, Université Lyon 1, INSA Lyon, 1997. http://lhpca.univlyon1.fr/PUBLICATIONS/pub/RWdea.ps.gz.Google Scholar