On Line Visualisation or Combining the Standard ORNL PVM with a Vendor PVM Implementation
Vendor implementations of PVM provide optimum performance on multicomputers. However, such implementations may lack interoperability. Developing of a real time display for a LGA simulation on Hitachi SR2201 parallel computer required a connection between the calculating part running on SR2201 and GUI running on a graphics workstation. A native PVM could not provide it. We proposed to use ORNL PVM to facilitate the connection and at the same time to use the native PVM for effective internal communication. Performance evaluation of this approach and practical results are presented.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Parallel Application Message Size External Communication Communication Library
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Janusz Borkowski.Google Scholar
- 3.Graham Fagg and Jack Dongarra, PVMPI: An Integration of PVM and MPI Systems, Calculateurs Paralleles, Volume 8, Number 2, 1996, pp 151–166, Hermes, ISSN: 1260-3198.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Beisel, E. Gabriel and M. Resch, “An Extension of MPI for Distributed Computing on MPPs” in Recent Advances in Parallel Virtual Machine and Message Passing Interface, LNCS, Springer 1997, pp. 75–83.Google Scholar
- 5.http://www.isye.gatech.edu/chmsr/jPVM/ jPVM: A Native Methods Interface to PVM for the Java Platform.
- 6.H. Fujii, Y. Yasuda, H. Akashi, Y. Inagami, M. Koga, O. Ishihara, M. Kashiyama, H. Wada and T. Sumitomo, “Architecture and performance of the Hitachi SR2201 Massively Parallel Processor System” Proceedings of the 11th International Parallel Processing Symposium, Geneva 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.http://poseidon.ulb.ac.be/simulations/intro_en.html Introduction to lattice gas automata.
- 10.V.S. Sunderam “PVM: A Framework for Parallel Distributed Computing”, Journal of Concurrency: Practice and Experience” pp. 315–339, Dec 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.http://www.avs.com Home Page of Advance Visual Systems.