Comparison of PVM and MPI on SGI multiprocessors in a High Bandwidth Multimedia Application
In this work the well known wavelet/subband decomposition algorithm (3-D case) widely used in picture and video coding is parallelized using PVM and MPI as well as with data parallel language extensions. The approaches try to take advantage of the possibilities the respective programming interfaces offer. Experimental results are conducted on an SGI POWERChallenge GR and an SGI Origin 2000. These results show a good comparison of the programming approaches as well as the programming interfaces in a practical environment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.C.D. Creusere. Image coding using parallel implementations of the embedded zerotree wavelet algorithm. In B. Vasudev, S. Frans, and P. Sethuraman, editors, Digital Video Compression: Algorithms and Technologies 1996, volume 2668 of SPIE Proceedings, pages 82–92, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.B.J. Kim and W.A. Pearlman. An embedded wavelet video coder using three-dimensional set partitioning in hierarchical trees (SPHIT). In Proceedings Data Compression Conference (DCC’97), pages 251–259. IEEE Computer Society Press, March 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.D. Krishnaswamy and M. Orchard. Parallel algorithm for the two-dimensional discrete wavelet transform. In Proceedings of the 1994 International Conference on Parallel Processing, pages III:47–54, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Kutil and A. Uhl. Hardware and software aspects for 3-D wavelet decomposition on shared memory MIMD computers. volume 1557 of Lecture Notes on Computer Science, pages 3347–356. Springer-Verlag, 1999.Google Scholar
- 9.G. Lafruit and J. Cornelius. Parallelization of the 2D fast wavelet transform with a space-filling curve image scan. In A.G. Tescher, editor, Applications of Digital Image Processing XVIII, volume 2564 of SPIE Proceedings, pages 470–482, 1995.Google Scholar
- 11.H. Nicolas, A. Basso, E. Reusens, and M. Schutz. Parallel implementations of image sequence coding algorithms on the CRAY T3D. Technical Report Supercomputing Review 6, EPFL Lausanne, 1994.Google Scholar
- 12.J.N. Patel, A.A. Khokhar, and L.H. Jamieson. Scalability of 2-D wavelet transform algorithms: analytical and experimental results on coarse-grain parallel computers. In Proceedings of the 1996 IEEE Workshop on VLSI Signal Processing, pages 376–385, 1996.Google Scholar
- 13.K. Shen, G.W. Cook, L.H. Jamieson, and E.J. Delp. An overview of parallel processing approaches to image and video compression. In M. Rabbani, editor, Image and Video Compression, volume 2186 of SPIE Proceedings, pages 197–208, 1994.Google Scholar
- 14.S. Sullivan. Vector and parallel implementations of the wavelet transform. Technical report, Center for Supercomputing Research and Development, University of Illinois, Urbana, 1991.Google Scholar
- 15.D. Taubman and A. Zakhor. Multirate 3-D subband coding of video. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, 5(3):572–588, September 1993.Google Scholar
- 16.M-L. Woo. Parallel discrete wavelet transform on the Paragon MIMD machine. In R.S. Schreiber et al., editor, Proceedings of the seventh SIAM conference on parallel processing for scientific computing, pages 3–8, 1995.Google Scholar