PVM Emulation in the Harness Metacomputing System: A Plug-In Based Approach
Metacomputing frameworks have received renewed attention of late, fueled both by advances in hardware and networking, and by novel concepts such as computational grids. Harness is an experimental metacomputing system based upon the principle of dynamic reconfigurability not only in terms of the computers and networks that comprise the virtual machine, but also in the capabilities of the VM itself. These characteristics may be modified under user control via a “plug-in” mechanism that is the central feature of the system. In this paper we describe our preliminary experience in the design of PVM emulation by means of a set of plug-in.
KeywordsVirtual Machine Java Virtual Machine Parallel Virtual Machine Java Native Interface Harness System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Migliardi, V. Sunderam, A. Geist, J. Dongarra, Dynamic Reconfiguration and Virtual Machine Management in the Harness Metacomputing System, Proc. of ISCOPE98, pp. 127–134, Santa Fe’, New Mexico (USA), December 8–11, 1998.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Geist, A. Beguelin, J. Dongarra, W. Jiang, B. Mancheck and V. Sunderam, PVM: Parallel Virtual Machine a User’s Guide and Tutorial for Networked Parallel Computing, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.T. Lindholm and F. Yellin, The Java Virtual Machine Specification, Addison Wesley, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Liang, The Java Native Interface: Programming Guide and Reference, Addison Wesley, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.A. J. Ferrari, Jpvm, Technical report, http://www.cs.virginia.edu/ajf2j/jpvm
- 6.A. Grimshaw, W. Wulf, J. French, A. Weaver and P. Reynolds. Legion: the next logical step toward a nationwide virtual computer, Technical Report CS-94-21, University of Virginia, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.I. Foster and C. Kesselman, Globus: a Metacomputing Infrastructure Toolkit, International Journal of Supercomputing Application, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Sun Microsystems, Jini Architecture Overview, available on line at http://java.sun.com/products/jini/whitepapers/architectureoverview.pdf, 1998.