REDO RSVP: Efficient Signalling for Multimedia in the Internet
Alarming reports of performance and scalability problems associated with per-flow reservations have led many to doubt the ultimate utility of RSVP and the Integrated Services Architecture that relies on it. Because we are convinced of the need for some form of resource reservation, to support multimedia communications in the Internet, we have set about trying to improve RSVP. By careful study of the protocol, we have identified areas for improvement, and propose REDO RSVP, a reduced overhead version that includes a fast establishment mechanism (FEM). In this paper we describe the rationale for REDO RSVP and present a detailed analysis of its features and operations. We also analyse REDO RSVP by means of simulations, and show that it offers improvements to the performance of RSVP.
KeywordsControl Message Resource Reservation Path State Network Failure Upstream Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Y. Bernet, J. Binder, S. Blake, M. Carlson, E. Davies, B. Ohlman, D. Verma, Z. Wang, and W. Weiss. A Framework for Differentiated Services. Internet Draft draft-ietf-diffser-framework-00, IETF, May 1998. Work in Progress.Google Scholar
- 2.S. Berson and S. Vincent. Aggregation of Internet Integrated Services State. Internet Draft draft-berson-rsvp-aggregation-00, IETF, Aug 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.D. Black, S. Blake, M. Carlson, E. Davies, Z. Wang, and W. Weiss. An Architecture for Differentiated Services. Internet Draft draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-00, IETF, May 1998. Work in Progress.Google Scholar
- 4.R. Braden, D. Clark, and S. Shenker. Integrated Services in the Internet Architecture: an Overview. RFC 1633, IETF, Jun 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Braden, L. Zhang, S. Berson, S. Herzog, and S. Jamin. Resource ReSerVation Protocol (RSVP)—Version 1 Functional Specification. RFC 2205, IETF, Sep 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Davie, Y. Rekhter, E. Rosen, A. Viswanathan, V. Srinivasan, and S. Blake. Use of Label Switching with RSVP. Internet Draft draft-ietf-mpls-rsvp-00, IETF, Mar 1998. Work in Progress.Google Scholar
- 10.R. Guérin, S. Blake, and S. Herzog. Aggregating RSVP-based QoS Requests. Internet Draft draft-guerin-aggreg-rsvp-00, IETF, Nov 1997. Work in Progress.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Pan, H. Schulzrinne, and R. Guérin. Staged Refresh Timers for RSVP. Internet Draft draft-pan-rsvp-timer-00, IETF, Nov 1997. Work in Progress.Google Scholar