Hardware Acceleration inside a Differentiated Services Access Node
This paper describes the hardware implementation of Simple Integrated Media Access (SIMA) access node. SIMA introduces Quality of Service (QoS) in IP networks by using the IPv4 Type of Service (TOS) field as priority and real-time indication field. Hardware acceleration is used to speed up the SIMA cal-culations.
KeywordsService Level Agreement Priority Level Flash Memory Access Node Memory Window
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blake S., et al., “An Architecture for Differentiated Services”, Internet Draft <draft-ietf-diffserv-arch-02.txt>, Torrent Networking Technologies, October, 1998Google Scholar
- 2.Kilkki K., “Simple Integrated Media Access”, Internet Draft <draft-kalevi-simple-media-access-01.txt>, Nokia Research Center, June 1997Google Scholar
- 3.Nichols K, et al., “Definition of the Differentiated Services Field (DS Field) in the IPv4 and IPv6 Headers”, RFC 2474, Cisco Systems Inc., December 1998Google Scholar
- 4.Loukola M.V, Engdahl T., Forsten J., SIMA Implementation architecture,” in Proc. 13th International Conference on Information Networking (ICOIN’99), January 27–29, 1999, Cheju Island, Korea, pp. 7D-3.1–3.6Google Scholar
- 5.World Wide Web Consortium, “FLEX 10K Embedded Programmable Logic Family Data Sheet, ver. 3.13”, http://www.altera.com/document/ds/dsf10k.pdf, url valid: February 17, 1999, Altera Corp.
- 6.PCI to PCI Bridge Architecture Specification Revision 1.0, PCI Special Interest Group, April 5, 1994Google Scholar
- 7.Beck M., et al., Linux Kernel Internals Second Edition, ISBN: 0201331438, Addison Wesley, 1998Google Scholar
- 8.World Wide Web Consortium, “Average Packet size per subnet”, http://netop.cc.buffalo.edu/AveReport-w, url valid February 17, 1999
- 9.Loukola M.V, Engdahl T., Forsten J., SIMA Traffic Measurements,” in Proc 7th International Conference on Telecommunication Systems March 18–21, 1999, Nashville, Tennessee, USA (accepted for publication)Google Scholar
- 10.World Wide Web Consortium, Helsinki University of Technology, http://www.hut.fi/, url valid: February 17, 1999
- 11.Vuori J., “Optimization of Signal Processing and Network Control in Telecommunications Systems”, Doctor’s Thesis, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland, 1998Google Scholar